Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
found registration number grandfathers BSA WM20: wm20-29827 !

Hello all,

Ive found the registration number from the BSA WM20 my grandfather owned in/after the ww2!!!:

wm20-29827

dutch licenseplate: L-58735

Can anyone inform me if any of these numbers could be tracked somewhere? Has anyone tips or experience wit this?

Thanks for your replies!

Kind regards,

Maarten

email (option): maartenvandebeek@hotmail.com

Re: found registration number grandfathers BSA WM20: wm20-29827 !

Hi Maarten,

I have a copy here of a list with frame numbers of bikes that went to the Prinses Irene Brigade, the number or your grandfathers bike is in that list. It says that the they received that bike new in June 1941. The BSA despatch records mention that it left the factory 14-11-1940. I have the PIB list from Rob vd Brink from the Norton 16H website, he might know more about that list. I can send you a copy of it if you want, not much in it but still.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Maarten1979
Hello,

I wanted to know if it is possible to hire a WM20 for 1 day or drive (Netherlands).

Ever day i commute 50 km with a a "modern" BMW K1100 LT. But due to sentimental reasons I would like to experience a (short) trip on a BSA WM20.

My grandfather (1905-1987) had one. At the ending of the
WW2 he escaped from the Kaiserwald concentration camp in Riga, Latvia.

On his voyage to get home he met a squadron (?)canadian allied forces and applied as a car mechanic.

After a wile he got a letter from a sergeant stating the good work he contributed. In exchange he got some motorcycleparts and a pair new shoes. I guess he obtained the BSA WM20 on the same manner.

My mother still has the letter.

He used the bike until the mid or late 50's.

Maarten
Emmeloord,Holland.
maartenvandebeek@hotmail.com

Hello Maarten,

The original census number for WM20-29827 was C4346419. Here are two pictures of motorcycles with "close" numbers:

Photobucket

Photobucket

No doubt these motorcycles had been converted to pannier frame specification by the end of the war.

There's a similar story on the WW2 Talk forum. Are you Maarten AKA "Lumenatra"? For those who don't have an account there: this is the picture of "Lumenatra" 's granddad on a Prinses Irene Brigade BSA M20 with a census number that is also "quite close"... (and you can see the pannier frame conversion here...)

Photobucket

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Hello Jan,

Thanks for this info. Its unbelievable.

Im not the Maarten on the other forum.

How could you find hte c-number , are there list for it? How does that work.

Im going to search for pics on the net of the Prinses Irene Brigade, maybe i have a change to spot the BSA???

If you have more info feel free to email me! THANKS ALL!

Maarten

email (option): maartenvandebeek@hotmail.com

Here's for a starter; Henk must have loads of them
Prinses Irene Brigade

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Nieuwe pagina 1