Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What's happened...!!!!!

After 30 years on Japanese bike, my M20 is the first bike I've owned with the gearchange on the other side (I've learn't not to say 'wrong' side...) and having clocked-up 115 miles at Armour & Embarkation and Weymouth Veterans Parade at the weekend, I hopped on my Kawasaki last night only to find that I had to think about which way to change gear and it took 30 miles or so before I was back on autopilot again.

What's hapened to me....?!

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: What's happened...!!!!!

I think that's normal Lee. When I moved abroad, I didn't find it difficult to convert to LHD cars but if I'm back in the UK and have to pick up the once normal right hooker again, I get all crossed up. Somehow the learned process replaces the automatic one.

I have the same problem with my Mk3 (left hand shift) Commando now and I'm going to swap it over and convert it to one up and the rest down, as it should be. My brother in law has converted his modern Ducati and reckons it's a good theft deterent as well.

Yes it can get confusing especially as Norton's are down for up with the gears on the right, my Triumph is right hand change and up for up and the Harley is on the left. The biggest cock up I did was accelerate on the Harley leaving a pub, then stamp on the back brake thinking I was changing up a gear

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I did the opposite a couple of weeks ago at rally in Kent. I got to ride a modernish Harley. I jabbed down on the brake pedal and managed to put the bike into nuetral
I also had a go on a massive great 1960's Electra-glide...Yuk! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

i had a 2009 bonneville which i have sold now because i have a dodgey left knee and after an hours riding couldnt change gear until i flexed my knee a few time while riding i was looking at an electric gear change mechanism by buttons on the handle bars the only thing that put me off was the size of the gear changing piston with the foot brake on the left all i have to do is stamp on it with my heel long live right hand gear changing

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Hi Lee..It can be confusing..At one time I was running a BSA C15T with one down and three up on the right, my B33 with one up and three down on the right and a Kawasaki with one down and four up (I think..I can't remember!) on the left!.. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Lee,
You can also consider to stick by righthand gear its also by the Laverda's
Bud its always thinking when you have driven a moderner bike!
Bram

email (option): bram@ockhuizen.com

Nieuwe pagina 1