Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Registration location info Bangor, North Wales connection?

At Armour and E last weekend, a Welsh lad came up to me and asked if I knew any of my M20's history, which I don't, but he told me that the Reg OJC, which is on mine was from Bangor, as his Grandfather had a car or another motorcycle that was OJC 673 and mine is 674, any ideas any one?

email (option): Kit247@hotmail.com

Re: Registration location info Bangor, North Wales connection?

Kit I think you'll find these are just age related numbers, issued long after the vehicle was first registered. Most WW2 WD vehicles would have been first registered post war. According to this site. 'OJ' is a Birmingham number. Probably from a batch of long gone Trolley Bus's.

http://www.wolfbane.com/vreg.htm

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I understood this system used the last two letters of the registration as the area code...So in Kits case 'OJC' that would be 'JC', which is Bangor , Caernarvonshire...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Well if that's the case, I stand corrected. I never thought to look it it that way. It doesn't seem to explain it on that site. Ron
PS.
I just found this which confirms the system as you described it Ian.
Interpreting a car's registration number.
The majority of post-war car numbers incorporate a three letter code - where this is the case, letters 2 and 3 signify the location code. So, for instance, a car with the registration number 638 GLJ or TLJ 512D would be a Bournemouth (B)-issued number. A car with just two letters, ie LJ, would also be from this area. Listed below are the known LJ series registrations, with added information (where available) describing when each series was first used, and in a few cases, when it came to an end. Some letter codes were used for more than one period during the 20th Century. This information can be invaluable when trying to date vehicles seen in old photographs, or in old films for instance.
Also if your car has lost it's original registration, perhaps sold off by a previous owner as a "cherished" number, this information will help you find a suitable replacement, or at least identify which series would be suitable, based on the age of your car and where it was first registered.

Hi Ron

Did you or Tim register my bike or was it already done? I've just looked at the chart for UC (from YUC) and it looks like a London registration to me.

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Yes Lee. Tim did all the documentation and I rode it over to the DVLA office for inspection. I've just been issued with one of these London numbers for my WD/L (YUL)

Ron

My 16H is UY I just looked that up and it's Worcester... which is the DVLA office I registered it at. Years ago I had a little "Eye Spy" book with all the vehicle registration areas in.

Here's a list http://www.kingkong.demon.co.uk/where/gb.htm

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

'OJC' is indeed a Caernarvonshire series which appears to have been issued from June 1964 onwards. Not all districts used the 'A' suffixes and Caernarvon seems to have commenced on a 'B' plate later in 1964 which would put yours in the middle of the year, presumably when it was first civilian registered.

Ron Pier
Yes Lee. Tim did all the documentation and I rode it over to the DVLA office for inspection. I've just been issued with one of these London numbers for my WD/L (YUL)

Ron

Thanks Ron, not only for the info, but also for registering the old girl!

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

were ther any disposal sales in Wales? this could explain the place of first civvy reg

Nieuwe pagina 1