Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Excessive Leak From Breather (G3L)

Hello all, I am restoring this Matchless and I tried starting this yesterday.
Unbelievably about half a liter of oil drained out through the breather tube with force. Is it because there is more than specified quantity of oil? or what could be the reason? Please do let me know, how to rectify this.

Tavery

email (option): tavery.p@hotmail.com

Re: Excessive Leak From Breather (G3L)

Was the sump completely drained of any oil that had accumulated while the bike was standing.

It sounds like a simply case of 'wet sumping' When you leave these Matchless's standing for even just a few weeks. Sometimes the oil from the tank will leak past the pump and fill the crankcase. I always remove the brass plug from the bottom of crankcase, drain the oil into a clean ice cream tub, and poor it back in the tank, before attempting to start up. Otherwise you can lay a Destroyer smoke screen Ron

PS typing together Fred.

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

No sir the bike was left with oil for over a month. I thought the leak would be just a few drops but this time it was a lot than expected.

Tavery

Hi Ron,

But this time it was a bit too much, It not only drained the oil from the crank but also from the oil tank.
The leak was that bad. It shot up to a distance of 6 feet from the bike

Tavery

Then something is causing yours to wet sump drastically. It was either Dave Plumb or Lex who posted a tip to help cure it. I could do with a re-visit of that information, as I am about to re-install my G3 engine. Ron

I just found Dave's tip.

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1224820&cmd=show

Ron

Hi Ron,

Thank you so much. I ll sure try this tomorrow.

Tavery

With Matchy pumps it depends where the plunger stops whilst parked. In certain positions it exposes an oil port allowing easy draining to the cases.Just live with it.Sometimes mine drains in a few days other times a couple of weeks.M20's sometimes drain in a few days also, especially in summer after a run.

douglas
With Matchy pumps it depends where the plunger stops whilst parked. In certain positions it exposes an oil port allowing easy draining to the cases.Just live with it.Sometimes mine drains in a few days other times a couple of weeks.M20's sometimes drain in a few days also, especially in summer after a run.

Douglas, I somehow doubt this, I have one G3 that can stand for more then 6 months, in any position, and will never ever drain into the cases, another will drain every time after 3 weeks.

And have had the G3 for over 12 years now, engine has been apart 2 times for other reasons, and have not assembled the oil pump in any special way.

But it's a pain when it does happen all the time.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Nieuwe pagina 1