Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Note to Cycle Fred re: log books

Hi Fred

Something odd happened with my reply to your last post. It came up in what I thought was the wrong place, so I deleted it with the intention of putting it on the proper thread. After I deleted my post, I couldn't find yours - but I shouldn't have been able to delete yours, and can't see how I did.

Don't know what's happening, but here's the reply I made.

Jun 23rd, 2012 - 9:59 PM

Re: DVLA log book interesting discovery

Hi Fred, you're right: I DON'T know for sure that that information on the DVLA web page hasn't been there for a while.

I have checked that page in the past, as I said. But I can't remember exactly what was on it. However, I do have it in my had somewhere that the DVLA had an accurate record on the year of manufacture. I'm fairly sure that it was on the old log book. But I haven't got that to hand to check.

It's possible, however, that the DVLA page we're discussing was where I saw the info. The important thing for all UK WD bike owners is that the DVLA does acknowledge that there can be quite a gap between the year of manufacture and the date of first registration.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

No, I delete things myself to stop being tempted to carry on talking online rather than do actual things on bikes & other hobbies

I don't understand why anyone would think the DVLA wouldn't understand sometimes vehicles have dates of 1st registration decades later than when they were built as they must have tens of thousands on V5's like that on DVLA records

Don't rely on that online info until you get in on paper, they are notorious for "correcting" conflicts the easiest way when they have made a mistake.
I always photograph anything I send to them, forms, V5's etc
Hopefully they made a input error on your V5 & send a correct one out.
My friends 1942 G3L is registered late 1960 & is very interested in developments so yours (& others) experiences are of great value, I was lucky with on particular 1939 bike, it's 1st reg is 1959

Fred, I will get clarification from the DVLA. But it wouldn't make much difference in law. It's a 1945 bike, and that's the long and short of it. Beyond that, it's just a question of inconvenience at the roadside arguing with coppers.

It would be quite frightening if all the rules were enforced relating to old motorcycles, a huge number of them fall into the category of "radically altered vehicle" & aren't considered to be the original vehicle at all. Alot of the main parts need to be the parts the bike had when new to be considered the original bike.

A large number of bikes me or you would consider acceptably say a 1948 bike are not considered to be by the powers that be, regardless if the parts are all from that year (or even that DAY of manufacture) a huge number bikes should actually be "Q" plated & considered constructed when registered.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/Registeringakitcarrebuildorradicallyalteredvehicle/DG_191068

while on the subject of log books last year i was sent a new log book red one for my BSA B31 which is on a sorn at the moment and told to destroy the old one this hasnt happened for my M20s log book

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Hi Danny..There could be another problem ...My local post office is unlikely to give me a tax disc without an accompanying MOT certificate if the bike shows up on thier system as 1968... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Roger. I only have some of the replacement RED log books, they are being sent out over a long period & they will eventually all arrive, but its just another perfect example of the mess they are in because the letter stated it was done because some old style ones were stolen & this will reduce fraud.
So now we have a situation where most people on receiving the new one DON'T throw out the old one "just in case" because replacements are a ridiculous £25.
So currently, its even easier for fraudsters because you could be legitimately handed either a red or old blue V5 or old blue forged V5 & by this time a forged red V5 seeing as the forgers have had a nice apprenticeship period

Hi Ian, what's a tax disc?

But seriously, that's a good point. Technically, I suppose the post office is obliged to give me a tax disc if I have proof that the vehicle is pre-1960. First registration, after all, isn't proof of the manufacturing date.

In practice, I suspect post offices will deny me the disc. I'd therefore probably just apply to the DVLA as I usually do and see what they have to say about it.

why do the DVLA still make you have a tax disc for free when soon you will not need a MOT this must cost them admin fees to issue a taxes disc

Roger the tax disc is to prove you have MOT and insurance when you applied for it. After November it will just prove the insurance. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron, who really needs the tax disc to prove that information. Now days what with everything done with ANPR equipment (either vehicle mounted or hand held units).
Maybe traffic wardens ?, not sure even they need tax disc info now.
I think the tax disc only exists for one reason, to help justify the charge.

I agree Fred. With everything on computer these days, why do they bother? You don't even get a proper MOT cert now! It's just that when you apply on line, or at the PO. You can't get a tax disc unless you have Insurance and MOT. Not every plod or traffic warden is kitted out with the ANPR's I suppose? Technology will soon dictate that your car won't even start till you have all the legal requirements in place Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

shhhhush ron dont give them ideas

Ron, I like the idea of vehicles that wont start until all paperwork is in order, that way, when at a show & a crowd is watching me trying to start my bike with the petrol tap off, instead of admitting it I could just say I think the MOT ran out. :-D

Some other countries have interesting systems, Egypt for example have stringent document rules, seat belts for cars, helmets on bikes, speed limits, headlights after dark, roundabouts, traffic lights, correct sides of the road to drive on & pedestrian crossings .... Non of which are observed by anyone.

Nieuwe pagina 1