Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DVLA log book "first registration" problems

Have just received my "amended" log book/registration certificate from the UK DVLA. This is concerning the new MOT rules that exempt pre-1960s vehicles from yearly inspections.

My old log book suggested/implied that my WM20 was built in 1968 (date of first registration). I wrote to the DVLA and advised them that it's actually a 1945 machine released from the British Army in (or shortly before) 1968.

I also sent a Roy Bacon dating certificate.

The upshot is that the dating certificate was returned a week or so ago, with no comment attached. The log arrived this morning, and it's EXACTLY the same as the other log book I have. In other words, the DVLA have changed nothing. The log book still shows a 1968 first registration, with nothing on the SPECIAL NOTES field. No mention anywhere of 1945.

Whether this is just stupidity and/or inefficiency on their part remains to be seen. But it makes me wonder whether the DVLA are going to dig their heels in over this and "stand" on the first registration date.

Can't really see that happening (they're usually pretty helpful, etc), and certainly they supplied no letter or statement suggesting as much. But if you're sending off your own log book to have it amended, you might want to mention/reiterate this problem.

Naturally, I'll be getting back to them in the week to see if it can be sorted out.

Beware.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Re: DVLA log book "first registration" problems

Hi Danny...I am currently waiting for my dating certificate as I have the same problem..a 68 date of registration and no 'manufacture date'..I'll be watching your posts with interest. I may contact the DVLA next week to find out what the official position is before sending the paperwork...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I couldn't get any sense out of DVLA on the phone over this issue.
They were evasive & I think anyone who has post 60 registered pre 60 manufactured vehicles should just fill out one of these
http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_065277.pdf
& tax the vehicle at a post office untill asked to prove vehicle manufacture date.

It will be very short sighted of them to leave it until November & then deal with everyone at once, but I bet they do.

Umm, will that mean I will have to check out all the log books this weekend to make sure they all are registered pre 1960,to ensure no MOT required next year, If the dvla want to stand by the first registration date as being the clincher,And the DVLA are not willing to change the V5cs there is going to be a few war time made bikes that will still require an MOT, or have I got that wrong? andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Andrew, the wording used on DOT releases on this all use the word "Manufactured" ....

http://www.dft.gov.uk/news/statements/penning-20120521a

so there's little doubt that we will get exactly that.
The assumption is that they will learn from their experience over hjstoric vehicle tax, where they automatically give any vehicle registered as late as a week after the cut off point the benefit off the doubt. As its fairly unlikely that vehicles were actually being made during the Christmas holidays meaning anything registered between 1st & 7th of Jan is accepted as being from the previous year. That can easily now be argued for MOT exemption along with the other methods we use to prove DOM.

My guess is that the DVLA will "see sense" over this issue. But they might need a little prodding.

There is, after all, a field at the bottom of the log book headed: Special notes. The people who designed the UK log books understandably didn't anticipate WD bike issues.

There might be similar problems with bikes made from assorted bits, etc, that have age-related number plates.

And I suspect that there are various anomalies in the classic car world too.

Hi

It may be worth trying this site, you can do a vehicle enquiry and a vehicle details enquiry on your registration number, this will tell you what information the DVLA has on your vehicle, I have been lucky as they have dates of manufacture on my searches.
https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/enquiry?execution=e1s1

John B
North Yorkshire

John, Its handy for when buying a vehicle without a V5 available but i've not seen dates on a vehicle enquiry search that aren't also on the V5.

If your getting a date of manufacture comming up that isn't already on your V5 that would be interesting.

My V5 has date of registration but not date a of manufacture..The site that John highlighted shows date of registration and date of manufacture as 68 for my M20. It also gives an address you can contact if you think the recorded details are incorrect...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: DVLA log book interesting discovery

John B'suggestion has thrown a little more light on this issue. I did know the mentioned DVLA page was there, but hadn't bothered to check it. I'd simply written to the DVLA. assuming they'd want some proof (hence sending them my dating certificate).

However, I have since checked that page, and my M20 does indeed show 1945 as the manufactured date, and 1968 as the date of first registration.

So it seems that the DVLA has at least partly got the message. I'll contact them to have the details put on my log book. Not that it really matters now, I suppose. Their database clearly shows that my bike is a 1945 model. But it might be as well to have it in writing in case of legal problems further down the road.

Thanks, John.

Re: DVLA log book interesting discovery

on the bottom of my V5C for my BSA M20 in special notes it says was registered and/or used. delcared manufactured 1943 i was wondering whether like a lot of government dept they are are not up to speed on this new ledgistration they will probably only learn about it on the start date remember the problem that was going about loosing your motorcycle licence when you changed anything on it a friend couldnt get any joy by letter or phone in the end he went in person to the DVLA and it was sorted within hours maybe that is what you might need to do to sort the problem and its going to be swansea when they shut these local offices

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Nieuwe pagina 1