Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Smith Speedometer

Hi all,

still I am searching for a Speedo for my 1936 16H.
Thanks to Richard, he found out that my bike was equipped with a km/h Speedo and not with a mile one because the bike was originaly shipped to Denmark.

Because I have no experience with Smith Speedos I need to know what needs to be consider if I search for such a Speedo.

- Speedo-Number (e.g. SMITHS S 433/5/L 140)???
- Dimensions of the Speedo (diameter, hight,..)
- max km/h
- with or without daily trip display

Thanks for advise in advance.

Phillip

email (option): Phillip.Thaler@gmx.at

Re: Smith Speedometer

Phillip, it will have been a "Jaeger Type" speedo, with the thick cable, that fastens to the speedo with a screw, has an orange stripe at the 30mph mark, or in your case 50kmh. If it is a civillian bike, it can have a trip feature, military, always non trip, exept some Matchless contracts.

The sizes are all the same for the Smiths speedo's, whatever you do, NEVER buy a replica from India!

Here some pictures, the tag on the back will tell you the year, till 1940 they were aluminium, after that brass.

Whatever you'll find, It will be expensive!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Lex is spot-on, as usual.

You're not going to find a kilometer speedo in the UK (which is of course where most of the chronometrics are to be found) but the basic isntruments can be converted.

My impression is that civilian Nortons were fitted with trip speedos (the military despatch documents state specifically 'non-trip' which they wouldn't have done if that had been normal).

Photobucket

80 mph was normal for UK market 16Hs so I'd expect 120 kph for Europe.

Photobucket

If you find a later type, the thick Jaeger cable can be more or less faked with a rubber tube over a modern cable.

I'd be inclined to talk to someone like David Woods. He doesn't normally sell speedos outright but could advise you on what he might be able to convert which would give you more options in looking for a donor instrument.

http://www.chronometricspeedos.co.uk/

Something like this maybe? The ammeter is a CZ23 but I have no idea of what years they were fitted. This speedo has the clamp on cable and no light.

Smiths speedo KMH

email (option): rbrouard@guernsey.net

Rick, the ammeter should have th Lucas datecode on the back, that would tell something. white ammeter faces were used before the war.

But if the speedo has the clamp on cable on the back, it should be the right one for continental use.

We were almost back in Guernsey! well, when riding to Jobourg on the Normandy Peninsular, the cellphone gave a message "Welcome to Guernsey" guess there was only 30 miles of water inbetween!!

Cheers,

Lex

Hi Lex, hope to get you back here again one day.

I was wondering about the date on these items, maybe you can confirm.

Best Regards

Rick

Photobucket
Photobucket

email (option): rbrouard@guernsey.net

Rick,Yes, I'll be back!

10 36 5 stands for I believe (Rik will no doubt correct me!)

10th of May 1936

And on the Ammeter 364281 1936-April-28

Could be wrong with the months/days, but 1936 it is.

Cheers,

Lex

Thanks a lot for all the nice Pictures.
Now I have a rough clou how such a Speedo shall look like

greetings
Phillip

email (option): Phillip.Thaler@gmx.at

Nieuwe pagina 1