Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ariel Red Hunter 500cc

Hi all.
I do know this is not actually a WD bike but better to stay here than to get in to another new forum... so hope you don't shoot the pianoplayer... And if you intend too, I better paint it OD :-)
I did rescue an Ariel today, together with a Royal Enfield frame. Se pictures.
The Ariel did lay in a ditch for 20 years, then in a barn the next 30 Years... I guess someone thought they should restore it since the engine is completely dismantled.
I do hope some of you can tell me if this is a 1938 model. The frame serial number is XG 3805 and the engine serial number is CD 1228
The Royal Enfield frame I was told is something around 1934 model. It has frame serial number 105540

Any ideas are welcome.. And perhaps it should not be restored, just get the engine running and get the parts needed to have it road leagal...

Rolf

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7563/dsc0127zm.jpg

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/4995/dsc0146tb.jpg

Re: Ariel Red Hunter 500cc

Hi Rolf,

My engine/frame number list confirms your Ariel to be a 1938 model with the 'CD 'XG' combination for engine and frame numbers. From the pic it looks like a single ported head so that makes a it the sportier model 'VH' if it sports a twin ported head it would be a deluxe model 'VG'. Another way to acertain the bikes year of manufacture is from the gearbox (if it hasn't been swapped out during the life of the bike)the first set of digits will be the model followed by a letter for the month(i.e A'' for January and so on)and then the next two digits for the year of manufacture. If you have the engine open you could also check the flywheels-the 'VH' come with steel flywheels and the 'VG' with cast iron flywheels. Hope this help to you, do let me know if you need any further info or help down the line if you decide to restore the bike.

It doen't matter what you come up with on this forum! Someone will always have the knowledge Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hank and Ron
Thanks

It has the twin port so then it is the VG version. I will have a better look at it one of the first days, and be back with more info.
This bike must await restoration until some other bikes are done. But guess I will be needing the time to find parts needed.
Today I am off collecting a WWII British conical tent.

Rolf

Hi Rolf, your engine originally left the factory in frame number XG1816. It was dispatched to Chr. Gran-Henrikson in Oslo on 30th Dec 1937.
Your frame was dispatched to the same dealer with engine 2370 on 9th may 1938.
Both listed as VGs. Drags can supply detailed dating certificates if needed.
Chers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Mick that is great and interesting news :-)

I have put out an request for that company on a norwegian FB site for oldtimer bikes. Hopefully someone know anything about Chr. Gran-Henriksen.
And I will for sure get a dating sertificate from Draganfly next time I order parts from them.
When I collected this one, I also got news about 4 Ariel 350 W/NG and perhaps I am able to rescue them too. But normaly old men tends to hold on to old stuff.. so can be hard to get them...

Rolf

Dont s'pose you could take some closer pictures of the rear guard. I have am umidentified guard similar looking but not sure?

here are two pictures of the rear mud guard.
Rolf

PS: Don't know why the images do not show in here.... so please copy and past in new window.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/dsc0147xj.jpg/

http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/2894/dsc0148sb.jpg

Thanks Rolf.

wondering!!!
The frame/fork with petroltank, in the picture standing in your trailer, the ariel red hunter.
Can you be interested in selling it ??, i have a motor+most other things on the shelf,but are in need of a frame with fork.
you can Email me at Dhdis@hotmail.com
thanks
Dennis

email (option): Dhdis@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1