Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 accompanies Dragonfly & Venom at the bottom of a pond

Bumped into a friend whilst out & about on my M20 and he told a story about his father not knowing what to do with an M20, Douglas Draganfly & Velocette Venom in the 1970's, so he did what I'm sure most of us would do - he dumped them all in a pond on the farm!

After spotting prices of late, I'm told he now regrets his actions...

Ps. Nice 70 mile ride in the sunshine today to the MVT do at Haslebury Mill near Crewkerne. It took a while at running-in speeds though.

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: M20 accompanies Dragonfly & Venom at the bottom of a pond

I have snorkel and a rope!

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Surprisingly, may not be a total loss if they can be located- sometimes the engines are OK inside, fresh water and sinking inside a deep mud at the bottom can preserve the metal from corrosion.
Salt wate immersion is often a total loss though.
I've read of a Velo I think that was recovered from below a bridge on the Thames and restored.
Now, err, where exactly is this farm?

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

When the moat around an old fortress near Utrecht was cleaned we recovered a lot of arms and ammo dumped there by the Germans. There were among others several Czech Brens that after cleaning shot perfectly; bright barrels, only the slightest corrosion on the alloy parts. And even the ammo worked 9 out of 10
So it seems that mud is a good preservative

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Well done on your trip Lee. You can't really get anywhere fast on an M20 and there's nothing to prove to modern bike riders. So I pick my routes mostly on back roads and enjoy the scenery. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1