WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forum pic

Ah, sweet and happy memories....

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Re: Forum pic

Is that you sitting in the background Hans!? :-)

Any idea what bike this is ? I think an ariel WNG ?

samuel cormier
Is that you sitting in the background Hans!? :-)

No, I was older, 12 years!

Hey Hans, have you ever written or recorded your memories of that time? I'm sure there would be a lot of interest. My granny was a fire woman during the Baedecker raids in Norwich and she has some amaizing memories. I would love to read yours.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Mick, Hans previously posted a link to an article he wrote of his experiences:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/74/a2006074.shtml

Cycle Fred
Mick, Hans previously posted a link to an article he wrote of his experiences:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/74/a2006074.shtml

There are two errors in my story, but since this 'time capsule' is closed now, they cannot be corrected. First, that Polar Bear recce unit entered Amsterdam on May 7th, and not 6, and the Germans that opened fire on Dam square were not SS but were seamen from German naval vessels in the harbour.

Thanks for the link info. Hans, your story is very moving, thanks for sharing. My grandmother often says "Of course, we never had it as bad as those who were occupied, we alway had something we could eat."
Could you post a pic of that stamp?
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

That stamp was part of a block of 10 stamps about the history highlights of our country during the 20st century:

Stamp blok

And this is the stamp of the Liberation, with Capt. William (Bob) Roberts, Seaforth Highlanders of Canada on his Norton H16 and a few ladies riding pillion

Capt Williams stamp

A fantastically moving account Hans and one I'm glad to see posted for all to read.

My Mum was 10 on VE day and although she talked of bombing raids on North London, and being one of the thousands of evacuees that were scattered throughout the countryside, starvation, thankfully, didn't add to her burden. Sadly, my Dad remained tight-lipped about his times as DR and only made mention to a knee injury sustained whilst attempting to overtake a convoy one dark night. Fingers crossed his service record will arrive soon and will reveal a few details.

I can only imagine how tough those times must have been...

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

And Hans is a true gentleman. I'm pleased to have met and ridden with him on a number of occasions.

And also I agree it's an Ariel W/NG in the picture.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

And he likes a bit of fish for his tea.. .. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Good story Hans, but better when told "live"

What I'd like to know is what the piece of string is connected to in the picture? does he have a sore tooth???

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

I think he's just got caught up in the celebration ticker-tape Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1