Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clutch Plates

Hello,
In some recent posts removal of one fibre & one metal clutch plate was discussed. Which metal one should I leave out? The outie or an innie?

Re: Clutch Plates

Hi Rick..Take off the clutch pressure plate and remove the first two plates you come to..which will be one steel and one fibre plate...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright
Hi Rick..Take off the clutch pressure plate and remove the first two plates you come to..which will be one steel and one fibre plate...Ian

With a new clutch looking ever more likely, is removing 2 plates the way to go or is it best to fit a full set and see how it is before taking 2 out?

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Hi Lee..The key thing is to identify correctly where the problem lies..removing two plates is a 'dodge' to cure clutch 'drag' allowing more space for the plates to seperate. I do tend to do it anyway as it makes it easier to set up and doesn't affect the clutches performance. It's worth taking a look at the piece I put in the 'technical section' of the website ('clutch problems'). This covers clutch related issues in some detail....Ian

My clutch works really fine and easy after removing two plates. I think new spring and new fibre plates plays important role. No drag or slip at all. Thanks, whoever came out with this idea.

on my clutch every thing was NOS or was well within the tolerances 1/4" rollers and still dragged i took the 2 plates out it now selects first gear when stationary without a crunch it is as if the fibre plate are to thick even thought there thickness is within the thicknes stated

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Thanks everyone. By the way what are the minimum tolerances for the fibre plates?

Hi Rick..There is no laid down minimum thickness for the fibre clutch plates...Ian

Ian Wright
Hi Lee..The key thing is to identify correctly where the problem lies..removing two plates is a 'dodge' to cure clutch 'drag' allowing more space for the plates to seperate. I do tend to do it anyway as it makes it easier to set up and doesn't affect the clutches performance. It's worth taking a look at the piece I put in the 'technical section' of the website ('clutch problems'). This covers clutch related issues in some detail....Ian

Thanks Ian. I'm on clutch duties this weekend in readiness for the following weekend. Keep your fingers crossed...

My clutch has had two plates removed for the twenty odd years that I have owned it. Always light and never slips.
The standards book quotes a normal thickness of 3/32" for the Ferodo rings. Mine are obviously after market and they measured more than that, even after miles of use. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

ron have you got a longer clutch rod or longer clutch lever ajuster bolt i find with just one set of plates missing the ajuster nut is getting near to the end of its ajustment my clutch rod is of the correct length

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Roger I made my pushrod to suit ages ago. It was a piece of silver steel that Ian gave me. I would have thought that by removing plates, you would have to actually shorten the rod a bit. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Fitted my new plates today, minus 2, and it's nice and light with no slip when riding or starting.
It's certainly less grabby but it's not quite as smooth as the Japanese stuff that I'm used to. The pressure plate under the spring has no finish where the underside of the bolts are attached (braze??) and I'm wondering whether this might make it grab or if this is how it's meant to be? Or maybe I'm expecting it to perform in a way that it wasn't designed to?

Nieuwe pagina 1