Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Carb set up

I'm scratching my head over the setting up of the carb on my recently built 42 M20. The carb 276C/1B has been reconditioned and looks as new with 170 main jet and all seems in order. The bike starts first or second kick and but when warm wont keep a tick over when coming to a halt. If you flood the bowl it will tick over perfect again. It seems that theres not sufficient fuel left in the bowl. Ive moved the float setting but then the bowl floods as the float hit the top before shutting off. Looking at the bell mouth there seems excessive fuel as fine spray get blown out.The pilot holes are clear. Ive moved the needle in all positions but 2nd clip seems best but doesnt solve the problem. Do I need to drop a jet size or is the carb seen its last days?
Any ideas most appreciated
Pete

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

Re: Carb set up

Pete, I would check inlet valve tappet clearance if ok then inlet valve & seat condition.Also could be the screw on cap that fits to bottom of main carb body this holds the jet block into place also takes the union for float bowl.There are different types of these which affect the float fuel level these were recently discussed on this forum, try search box at top of page.hope this is of help ? Dave

Dave, cheers for the pointers, it would appear that its quite a common complaint and exactly the same as previous discussed. Hopefully trial and error will sort it.
Ta
Pete

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

Interesting stuff, mine seems to run, then doesnt get enough fuel when running. I cleaned the whole system, today is a day of fiddling with the carb...the float bowl doesnt seem to want to fill with fuel. Although I have managed to break the end off the needle this morning!

Nieuwe pagina 1