Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 tin ware original or repro?

I have a load of surplus tinware for an M20 :mudguards, rear stand, toolbox, inner & outer primary,chain guard etc.
It's all in "used but good" condition so apparently it all fits, otherwise the "used" wouldn't apply ,I think. Given the "made in India" horror stories , is there any way of telling whether such parts are original or copies? I consider selling the bits but would like to know if what I sell is the real stuff or copy .

email (option): siamsailing@gmail.com

Re: M20 tin ware original or repro?

hi tt,i would be interested in the rear stand and prolly some of the other parts,any chance of any photos
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

The best thing is to post some pictures here..I can spot Indian toolboxes and mudguards without too much difficulty usually as there are detail differences visually...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

That'll be difficult .
They are now in a box with household goods on a ship on the way to Holland .
My wife & daughter are going to live there for a while.
Any tips on how to spot fake parts ? Weight, thickness of metal or something the like ?

email (option): siamsailing@gmail.com

The rear mudguards are frequently made in more than one piece, whereas the originals were a single pressing..so look for any welds on the inside. Also the mounting points for the mudguard rear section may not be positioned equally relative to the width of the mudguard...the problem can be though that you need to know what an original looks like .
Front guards differ where the sides are pressed in for girder fork clearance and are often the wrong radius for the wheel..so don't follow the shape of the tyre. The toolboxes are also often made in more that one piece and the radius where the edge of the lid runs into the outside face of the lid are too 'sharp', also the recess for the cover fixing and the document 'pouch' inside are often incorrect. If you are moving to Holland you will have plenty of opportunity to compare the parts to originals when you get there...There are as many M20s in Holland as there are in the UK!... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1