Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HT Lead Drama

Hey Guys,
so I had (keyword had!!) a two kick wm20 until it developed a bad attitude and became inconsistent. It ran worse and then would not fire up at all. On closer inspection I pulled the HT lead and found that the brass washer had pulled clear of the lead on the mag end. Turns out the previous owner used a carbon strand type spark plug lead and just jammed a brass washer with a short piece of copper attached into the cut off end. So I am amazed it ran so well at all since I am aware that your not supposed to use anything but copper core with mags. What is the result of using the wrong HT lead? Anything? Also should I solder the new wire to the brass washer, how should it be attached? It had previously been soldered and held up. Thanks again,
-RW

email (option): robwern@yahoo.com

Re: HT Lead Drama

Magnetos are only ment to work with 1000 ohms resistance on the HT lead max, you were most likely running about 10,000 to 12,000 ohms the resistance will cause the coil windings in the armeture to burn out, I've played that game.Expensive.

Re: HT Lead Drama

Hi Rob..I generally solder the brass washer to the HT lead after putting the wire through the washer and 'splaying' the wire strands..I imagine if your mag is still working well you haven't done any damage, so I guess you were lucky the end came off before damage occured...Ian

email (option): ian@wtight52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1