Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Slipping kickstart

Oh, how I wish I'd whipped off the front of the gearbox before fitting it back in the bike!

Working well before rebuilding the rest of the bike, the gearbox was the only bit not to get the treatment and now it's developed an occasional slip. It doesn't happen all the time but is there a common bit that tends to wear that's easy to replace with the box in the bike?

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: Slipping kickstart

The K/S bits are easy enough to replace with the box in place and just the outer cover removed. The K/S quadrant seems to wear down its first few teeth where it contacts the pinion; difficult to locate replacements for same here in the US, but such items are perhaps more likely to show up at jumbles in the UK. I do have one on order from Draganfly, but no ETA...

I look forward to some other comments on this problem, as we all will deal with it eventually...

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

Are you sure it's not the clutch slipping from oil soaked plates?

take the clutch cable off and see if it still slips

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Hi Lee..If it 'slips' when the engine is on compression it is probably clutch slip. The kickstart ratchet and kickstart ratchet pinion it engages hardly ever wear to the point where they will slip against each other. The first few teeth on the kickstart quadrant are cut away from new (progressively less on each tooth) to aid engagement of the two parts. Likewise the kickstart ratchet pinion has a 'non standard' tooth form (more pointed than a normal gear) for the same reason.
If it comes to it both parts can be easily accessed as they are both outside of the main body of the gearbox, being located within the outer covers.
However, before considering that you must be sure it is not the clutch causing the problem.
With clutch slip it will typically occur as you kick the engine over against compression. You won't hear any mechanical noise particularly (like gears slipping)..the lever will just 'slip' smoothly but with some resistance. If that is the case start with the easy things and check that there is 'free play' between the ball in the clutch operating arm and the end of the clutch pushrod with the handlebar lever 'at rest'. Check this at the gearbox..not at the handlebar lever. If you have approx. .040" (1mm) minimum free play here the problem will lie within the clutch..either oil on the plates or another problem that is preventing the plates coming together or reducing the pressure on them (the clutch nut coming undone for instance)....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I've just been out in the garage checking things with the advice given - ta very much.
unhooking the cable improved things slightly and with my clutch remaining grabby at best, I think this is where I'll start the investigation. As much as I'd hate to disturb an oil tight chain case, it'll give me a chance to double-check the cush drive nut in the process.

As ever, good advice and stopped me from potentially looking in the wrong place!

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Ian Wright
Hi Lee..If it 'slips' when the engine is on compression it is probably clutch slip. The kickstart ratchet and kickstart ratchet pinion it engages hardly ever wear to the point where they will slip against each other. The first few teeth on the kickstart quadrant are cut away from new (progressively less on each tooth) to aid engagement of the two parts. Likewise the kickstart ratchet pinion has a 'non standard' tooth form (more pointed than a normal gear) for the same reason.
If it comes to it both parts can be easily accessed as they are both outside of the main body of the gearbox, being located within the outer covers....Ian

Well, good to know the quadrant "comes that way", as the first several teeth on mine, after all the years of being flogged upon by hobnailed boots, would appear to have been partially peened over, and the k/s does on ocassion "slip" from engagement and rotate the next pinion tooth it can align with, or ometimes jambs up.

So all k/s bits on order...wish it were just the clutch!

Eventually I will learn to keep off the keys at least until the cooler heads have weighed in.

As always , thank you for the ongoing education.

Chees,

JDE

Hi John...'Jamming' is a good indicator that the quadrant and particularly the pinion are worn a bit too much. Also wear on the quadrant shaft and cover bush plays its part, allowing the quadrant to 'tilt'. If you can find the kickstart quadrant stop rubbers and plan to keep and use the bike, buy a few. They require replacement fairly regularly.. ...Ian

Ian Wright
Hi John...'Jamming' is a good indicator that the quadrant and particularly the pinion are worn a bit too much. Also wear on the quadrant shaft and cover bush plays its part, allowing the quadrant to 'tilt'. If you can find the kickstart quadrant stop rubbers and plan to keep and use the bike, buy a few. They require replacement fairly regularly.. ...Ian

I have a new pinion and quadrant bush on order as well as the rubber stop bumper. I had just replaced gear box bushings and bearings, but neglected the k/s; now it is acting up...I should know by now that there are consequences if you disturb the "set" of a worn mechanism

Thanks,

JDE

Hi John..Yes, these things do tend to come back and bite you on the a**... . Whilst on the subject of gearboxes another part always worth having in your spares kit of you are running the bike is the smaller of the two gearchange return springs. They don't go that often..I always say if you ride an M20 you'll do at least one in your life..but if it does go you will find yourself stuck in whichever gear you have selected at the time and one day the springs won't be so easy to get.....Ian

rather fiddling at the roadside trying to change the kickstarter sping keep a piece of innertube like an elastic band in your toolbox and once started just hook the kickstarter up i have known people have run about with this modification for years

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Roger, that brings back memories of "bungee" kickstart springs, which work well without having to remove & replace every time.

Note I mentioned the gearchange return spring in my last posting..not the kicksart return spring..Though the good old bungy is a good qick fix for that!..Ian

Ian, it was a hard learned lesson on a Triumph twin years ago with a K/S spring brocken while touring Scotland, I unhooked it & swung the kicker down lifted my foot off & the engine kicked back smashing the lever into my ankle after traveling a full arc, I had to devise a way to have the arm return fully to remove that risk.

Nieuwe pagina 1