Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Solid copper head gasket bolt tension

Hi All.
Does the same head bolt tension apply with a solid copper head gasket of 28 lbs ?

Cheers Drew

email (option): bronte.nolan@bigpond.com

Re: Solid copper head gasket bolt tension

That will be fine Drew...28-30ft.lbs.Recheck tension once after the engine has run up to working temperature and then gone completely cold...I'll mail you later today regarding 'the other'...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Not to put too fine a point on it: I ran a thread chaser through the head bolt holes (removed quite a bit of dirt but no metel) and used anti-seize on the bolt threads...... still best to use the recommended 28-30 ft/lb setting for the head bolts?

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

Thanks Ian and John.
I'll kick her in the guts tonite.
Cheers Drew

email (option): bronte.nolan@bigpond.com

Grease and other such lubricants can measurably affect the accuracy of torque settings, it is best just to apply a very light machine oil to the bolts to minimize this effect....Ian

email (option): ian@wtight52.plus.com

Grease and other such lubricants can measurably affect the accuracy of torque settings, it is best just to apply a very light machine oil to the bolts to minimize this effect....Ian

Ian Wright

I understand and would normally agree completely, however the ancient and I assume original headbolts that I removed seemed quite on the point of thread failure during the struggle to release them, and although don't suppose I will live long enough to ever be dealing with the same problem in the future, I did apply anti-seize compound to the new bolts.

So, all that said, Any guess on how the anti-seize compound would affect head torquing?

Seems to me, I should now have a actual head torque that more closely approches the 30ft/lb setting that I used, than would have ocurred had I installed dry bolts...

Should I reduce the torque to a lower figure, or proceed

Any thoughts appreciated.

JDE

Hi John, Torque value variations when using thread lubricants will vary to a degree depending on lubrication type and viscosity. However, the general rule applies that actual torque values applied are increased by the use of lubricants..in other words you will apply more force to the fastener than you would without lubricant.
This is because the lubricant reduces the amount of friction..or 'resistance' to tightening..so to achieve the required 'resistance' to operate the torque wrench actually requires more than the load 'pre set' on the wrench.
As a general 'rule of thumb' in Engineering if you are using anti sieze compounds such as 'copper slip' reduce torque settings by 25%...An actual 28-30ft. lbs. figure would thus be achieved with a torque wrench setting of 21-22.5 ft.lbs.....Ian

Thank you Mr. Wright,

Sounds like it would be best if I went back and reduced the torque setting, as the difference is much greater than what I would have thought.....and quite counter-intuitive to my perceptions.

Engine has yet to be run, so with luck, I can get away with "adjusting" the torque settings without the need for disassembly.....we'll see.

JDE

Hi John..There shouldn't be a problem with making adjustments to the settings at this stage.A degree of experimentation will be required I think to establish the correct figure for the particular application and lubricant used. I guess if you go with the suggested figures you'll just have to keep a close eye on it during initial running to ensure the gasket is sealing well and doesn't need a bit more torque applied...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1