Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for some info..

Hello everybody,

I own 2 WM20’s for few years now, but do not really know any details regarding their history.
The only thing I do know is that one of them should be a 41’ model, and the other is from 45’.

Can anyone shed some light on its history, or even a key card registration?
Any info would be just great !

One (45) has frame No. WM20 121433 and engine No. WM20 66801
And the other (41) has frame No. WM20 39557 and engine No. WM20 93775.

Thanks allot,
Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Re: Looking for some info..

Noam Zehavi
Hello everybody,

I own 2 WM20’s for few years now, but do not really know any details regarding their history.
The only thing I do know is that one of them should be a 41’ model, and the other is from 45’.

Can anyone shed some light on its history, or even a key card registration?
Any info would be just great !

One (45) has frame No. WM20 121433 and engine No. WM20 66801
And the other (41) has frame No. WM20 39557 and engine No. WM20 93775.

Thanks allot,
Noam.

Hi Noam

I can't find any reference to the '45 but here's what I have from O&M on the '41:
Contract C7287
WM20 25001 to 42000
17,000 produced (the largest quantity produced for a single contract?)
Dates 25/5/40 DM, 30/11/40 CD, 28/8/41 CP
Price £49.15s
Delivered to Chilwell at 2000 per month after C6654
Census number C4356149?

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Although Orchard & Madden don't list WM20 121433, it was actually produced under contract S7218. This was originally for 10,000 machines but was cut short by the end of hostilities.

Machines produced were to have been WM20 116818 - WM20 126817 but in fact the last bike produced under this contract was WM20 122687 so yours is very close to the end. It would have carried census number C5890533 when delivered to the Royal Ordnance Depot at Chilwell.

Production was contracted at 1500 per month commencing May 1945 which would put 121433 somewhere around August 1945. This ties in of course with the end of the war against Japan.

All machines under this contract were to be 'suitable for the tropics' - presumably a Vokes filter and in common with the other late M20 contracts, the bike was fitted with 3.25x19 tyres.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd suspect that the bike was in store for a year or two before being either issued to British forces or sold on to a friendly nation.

Hi Lee and Rik,
Many thanks guys, that’s great !

So the 41’ is in fact 40'.. Henk will need to change it in the chart…

Is any of them have a the key card, and would you might know the C No. of the 40’?..

Thanks,
Noam.

Hi Noam,

According the the BSA factory ledgers BSA WM20 39557 left the factory on 4-7-1941 and went to the War Office London.

We have this information for all bikes up to WM20 69669.

Henk.

Here a photo of surplus bikes being shipped to a friendly nation.

S7218

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Thanks allot Henk !

Regarding the official C numbers of the bikes,
is it available anywhere, or just try to calculate
using the charts?...

Noam.

Noam Zehavi
Thanks allot Henk !

Regarding the official C numbers of the bikes,
is it available anywhere, or just try to calculate
using the charts?...

Noam.

Hi Noam

My calculation for the earlier bike is C4356149
If anyone can check my maths on this it'd be appreciated.

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Thanks again Lee !

I also have WM20 frame and engine number 122648.
Was it in the last contract of the War Office?
Is it possible that the bike was made after the end of the war?

Thank you all,
Chen Kalmanovich, Israel.

email (option): gilitkl@gmail.com

Chen, Contract S7218, catalogue reference No.38 was certainly the last substantial contract. Orchard & Madden show a couple of higher numbers but these were just for odd machines.

There is a good possibility that your bike was made after the end of the war (viewed as 5/8/1945 in the UK and 2/9/1945 in the US, when the formal surrender of Japan was signed).

1500 per month commencing May 1945 was the target set in August 1944 when the contract was placed. We really can't tell if they did start at that time but there is a refernce to 'P 15/5/45' and 'A 10/1/46' but I don't know what these relate to. It is possible that the last deliveries were in January 1946 or that may be when the final payment was made.

Regardless, your bike was built under a wartime contract and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission commemorate those who died in service up until the end of 1946.

I wonder Noam and Chen,
You are both from Israel, maybe both of your bikes were sent to Israel together? Long lost brothers? You should compare and see how far back you can track their histories.

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Hi Vincent,

That’s what I’m trying to do now- to track my bikes history,
But I don’t think that there is any special contract brought here, or a production batch.

As can be seen at the “Engine and frame numbers” chart in this site, there are bikes there made on 39’ , 41’ and 45’
And there are many more (I believe that at least 50 are still drive around today in Israel from the WM20 model)
which are not registered at the chart and are from various years of production.

Some of the bikes were left in British camps (such as “Sarafend” ) some came from army surplus from Cyprus and some from other places..
Anyway, it’s nice and interesting to know as much as we can of the history of the bikes.

Cheers,
Noam.

i have heard that russel motors of clapham who brought a lot of suplus military motorcycle and spares after the war who still supply military motorcycle spares exported M20 and spares to israel

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

My bike was first registered on 11/12/1960 at the Transportation Office. Most of the WM20 bikes imported to Israel after the war recieved the manufactured date of 1942 regardless of their real manufacturing date. Only few recieved 1945.

Rik
Although Orchard & Madden don't list WM20 121433, it was actually produced under contract S7218. This was originally for 10,000 machines but was cut short by the end of hostilities.

Machines produced were to have been WM20 116818 - WM20 126817 but in fact the last bike produced under this contract was WM20 122687 so yours is very close to the end. It would have carried census number C5890533 when delivered to the Royal Ordnance Depot at Chilwell.

Production was contracted at 1500 per month commencing May 1945 which would put 121433 somewhere around August 1945. This ties in of course with the end of the war against Japan.

All machines under this contract were to be 'suitable for the tropics' - presumably a Vokes filter and in common with the other late M20 contracts, the bike was fitted with 3.25x19 tyres.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd suspect that the bike was in store for a year or two before being either issued to British forces or sold on to a friendly nation.

Read this with interest as my frame number is 122565 and the VMCC 'statement of search etc' gives it a manufacture year of 1944. Maybe this was based on the contract date? Anyhow, if it helps anyone 'fix' a census number then mine, confirmed by the key card, is C5891665. End of service for this one was to be sold off at BAOR in '57!

Nieuwe pagina 1