Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New M20 purchase - very exciting.

hello there.

I'm new to the BSA M20, world but have just made a my first purchase. i have a little knowledge, which i believe they say makes me more of danger to my self...

any way, i was wondering if people could help. i live in the UK and i have bought a bike that was original from Belgium. it has no Reg plates on it and has no Belgium document. my understanding was that it has been in a barn for over 30 years! and way i wand to get it registered in the UK and I'd like some advice on that.

the frame number is WM2070924 and the engine number is WD2086793. i believe it's a 1942 bike but can anyone tell me any more info about it in terms of date of manufacture? are the numbers matching and original? what regiment was it with, how did it and up in Belgium etc... i believe i need a heritage certificate, will the frame and Engine number be enough for that and, who can do this for me?

the bike runs although the gearbox is not selecting a gear at present - I've not had it apart yet but is this a know problem to fix? i also need a couple of other parts, a valve spring cover, front head light (not the case) rear light unit and a stand. can anyone help with that?

anyway, as i said, I'm new to this and any input, advice and direction is very welcome!

thanks
Dave
Surrey, England

email (option): daveslinn@matrixtrust.com

Re: New M20 purchase - very exciting.

For BSA dating certificates I always used
Dick Lewis

Hi dave

If its the bike I think it is, you have a good machine to work on, the tinware is good although I think it has a later war rear guard, you need a battery carrier and a lower rear guard stay as the one you have is in fact the lifting handle. I may have seen this some weeks back

I have just registered another bike wih no documents so when nearer the time of getting it on the road, you will need the following on top of insurance
An MOT
A dating letter from a recognised source ( I used Dick Lewis for my M20 some years ago)
A completed V55/5

This document was not available on the DVLA website and was sent to me via post along with information sheets etc

When the bike is MOT'd, you can bring your docs to the local DVLA office and request an age related number - if you are lucky, they will not request an inspection. I have found if the dating source is a good one, you will not be requested to bring the machine, but be prepared to do so, there is no "rule"

An admin fee of £50 and within 4-5 working days you receive a licence and a letter of permission to obtain a number plate

The barn was somewhere I Kent I believe where it originally came from !!!

From where you are, a leisurely trip to see Les at Russel Motors beside clapham junction station will provide mostbofbyour needs, Draganfly are also good and have a great catalogue I would recommend you download.

Les at Russels is not so in love with e mails or websites, he likes paper and fax machines, so contact before you travel is recommended

There are many frame dating forum members who will confirm your frame / engine, they should be matching, but engine changes by military workshops were common place

Welcome to the BSA M20 world

:-)

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

We were all writing at the same time

:-D

It would be nice if you post some (close up) pictures of your bike...........or it must be the bike from the auction mentioned above.
Regards,
Sven

email (option): snvosselman@hotmail.com

Hi Dave

Welcome to the world of the WD M20.

I'm also fairly new to BSA ownership and have had mine for about a year now. I agree with what the other Dave said about the M20's getting under your skin and after being on Japanese bike for 30 years, I just love the thing. For me, the history surrounding it is as enjoyable as the bike itself.

Being a newbie, my M20 knowledge is pretty limited when compared to the other guys on the forum but I'm learning all the time, especially as I've just finished rebuilding mine.

I've just looked in the Orchard & Maddden bible and, if my sums are correct, the book lists your bike as being from contract C12424 (order originally for 350cc OHV?) 10/11/41 from frame number WM20 63448 - 71447 which I guess would be spot-on for 1942?
Part of 8000 ordered under the contract and priced at £64.12s
This is where my maths gets shaky - would it's census number have been C4707021?

Enjoy!

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Hi Dave...Welcome to the forum..and the WD bike world. I haven't seen a pic of the bike but my first question would be are you planning to carry out a full restoration or to fix it up and run it 'as found' more or less. This decision should govern what you do and how you go about it..If you are planning a complete rebuild then I wouldn't even bother to try and start it..everything will be addressed during that job and if it has a fault you may actually damage it further to no purpose by running it.
If you are planning to 'recommission' the bike after such a long lay up you will still have plenty to do and there are a number of things that should be checked and if required, sorted out,before running it...
'Recommissioning' will be a fairly extensive job in itself if you want to produce a machine that is reliable and functions well after a 30 year 'lay up' and an unknown history prior to that...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I think this bike was at last kempton show on a stand with 2 lads from Belgium

I looked at it closely & thought it a sound project - if you bought at that price you did well especially after what they told me what they wanted on the day

Well done you

:-)

Job

hi there, interesting, I'd be intrested to know what they were wanting in terms of price. i bought it in the UK from a chap that has a bike shop. he bought it from Belgium! that chap is down the road from me and seem very genuine.

i paid a little more than he said he paid, which would be fair.

thank
dave

i would say the best thing to do is get it roadworthy dont worry about its authentisty and get it MOTed you dont even have to ride it to the garage and it doesnt really have to run get dating cert the old bike mart paper does a dating service and register it the reason to rush is the local DVLA offices are shutting and pre 1960s motorycles will be excempt MOTs and i think these 2 things will cause problem later this year

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Hi dave

Drop me a line with your e mail & i can let you know

Believe me you did well !!

Job

i was wondering how this new legislation was going to affect things - has there been an official line yet about how this might work?

thanks
dave

email (option): daveslinn@matrixtrust.com

Lovely. you'll have great fun restoring it and then riding. Be wary of buying cheap parts, always best to get NOS were possible, Welcome to the DR's ;) and book your diary for Normandy, June 2014...

email (option): Kit247@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1