Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Normandy Landings 70th Anniversary 2014

Forgive me for asking (in case it's been mentioned before) but is there going to be an event in 2014 to mark the 70th anniversary of the Normandy Landings similar to the 65 For 65 event?

email (option): d.stapleton78@btinternet.com

Re: Normandy Landings 70th Anniversary 2014

Dave Stapleton
Forgive me for asking (in case it's been mentioned before) but is there going to be an event in 2014 to mark the 70th anniversary of the Normandy Landings similar to the 65 For 65 event?

Is the Pope catholic...

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

It will be massive!

Btw, @ Hans.

Is there a WD bike collective during the events? Do you all share a campsite? 65th I did not have a BSA yet so did not notice

We'll be @ Insigy Sur Mer with a group...mostly Jeeps

email (option): vansnippenberg@yahoo.com

Well, quite a lot of the older generation prefers the "Reine Mathilde" camping at Etreham, a nice, quiet place until the bikes arrive
But I think you have to start your bookings NOW for 2014...

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Hans WDM20 58764
But I think you have to start your bookings NOW for 2014...

Are there any arrangements being made by, or for, members of the forum to attend, or is it all down to individuals and/or groups.

Maybe someone could put something together to give us new chaps an idea of what arrangements are being made and how we should approach this event? Any helpful suggestions would be welcome.

Oh, and I must try to get a bike sorted by then...

Hi Dave

There are plans for 200 machines to assemble in France in 2014

The same organisers, (our own Ian Wright being one) will I'm sure let us know more when this to hand.

Make sure your bike is done, if anything like the 65 for 65 it will be a fantastic event & great fun

As Hans said, many of us stay at reine Mathilde site outside port en bessin - all permanent chalets are now booked for 2014 - but additional field space has been requested

Am travelling back from there just now

Best regards

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Etreham is just 18mls from my spot. I'll drop by for a chat and watch some bikes!

We have booked the same farm as last year..indeed, be quick if you want some decent accomodation.

Regards, Jacco

email (option): vansnippenberg@yahoo.com

Hi Jacco

You are not so far away so easy to get there

I am not sure of this, but I think MVT from UK will also be on site, again please note I am not sure on this yet. If so, the campsite will be very full of many interesting vehicles to see

Jo'b

Hi John...Yes...The Military Vehicle Trust tour will also be based at Etreham for 2014..see my 'Normandy 2014 info' post for an outline of the event....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

is it going to be sunny

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

It was no sunny today comin up from Portsmouth roger- but who cares - it was another good time in France we saw lots, rode lots & met with great forum members once again

A small bit of rain today won't stop us in 2014 !!!

Happy days

Jo'b

In 12 years I've only had a couple of wet D Day tours...and the 65th wasn't one of them...Photobucket...Ian

Ian

Many thanks for you post re: the 2014 gathering, I appreciate all the information, thank you.

No Problem Dave...Now you have a target to aim for. There will be regular updates on the forum as we get into next year....Ian

It's also a good target for me to aim for as, all being well, it'll be nicely run-in by 2014 and instead of doing 30mph, as I am at the moment, I'll be able to unleash all of the power and top 50mph. Possibly...

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Hi Lee..As I always say when the question of M20 'performance' comes up..'Monday to Friday in 5 days, weekends in 2'.. ...How is the bike running now?..Have you had a chance to get out on it again?...Ian

Ian, can you reserve me a pitch ? Preferably next to someone who's always got the kettle on and a big tea-pot. I'll bring a mug !

Hi Rik..There should be sufficient space for everyone..it's just a matter of booking onto the tour when the list opens...Your main challenge is to harangue all the Norton owners and get a reasonable number there!....Ian

I'm trying to get the 16H put together but I keep being distracted I'll be there though, if it's not finished I'll put it in the van and take it to France. We'll have it put together before I leave

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Ian Wright
Hi Rik..There should be sufficient space for everyone..it's just a matter of booking onto the tour when the list opens...Your main challenge is to harangue all the Norton owners and get a reasonable number there!....Ian

My mission at the moment is to get a certain Enfield owner there on a WD motorcycle but he keeps saying that he's too busy making M20 parts .

Ian Wright
Hi Lee..As I always say when the question of M20 'performance' comes up..'Monday to Friday in 5 days, weekends in 2'.. ...How is the bike running now?..Have you had a chance to get out on it again?...Ian

Hi Ian

Bike riding time has been pretty slim of late due to a friends wedding at the weekend and poor weather at all other times. Apart from that, it's benefitted from tweaks to the clutch and choke and, touch wood, all seems ok at this early stage. I'm hoping to get 500 miles under my belt between now and the Armour & Embarkation/Weymouth Veterans weekend. 480 to go!

For next year and 2014 we have moved from the field next to the Battery de Longues (between the US zone and the western border of Gold beach) to Basly, just 5 km. inland from Bernieres, in the centre of the Juno beach zone (Canadian). Here we have secured the local Moto-X track and adjacent field thanks to Christophe Collette and with the support of Monsieur le Maire.
Plenty of tea all day long on the Soyer cooker.
More details to follow, presumably camping will only see a registration fee of app. € 20 all incl.
However not a very luxury campsite.

Something we can look into next year: Maybe to do the registration for the Arromanches run here: plenty of room and availability of large hall and Parc Ferme, for those who went through registration. And the run to Arromanches is slightly longer than the Ver-sur-mer start that we used in 2009. But hey, we are out to use the bikes?

Hi Rob..We will be in Normandy next year checking out routes/locations etc. etc...It strikes me this would also be a good rendevous for the run down to the 'Pegasus' end...I'll have to check out the route options back to Arromanches from there and the implications of keeping a large group tightly together over the greater distance..We might still have to stop at Asnelles or a similar location to 'reassemble' the group before going into Arromanches. Also we have to incorporate the measured 2k run, with filming etc. for the Guiness record and if it is like 65 for 65 we will have a narrow time window for entry into Arromanches...but it may be worth consideration..the longer run would be nice..Ian

Rik,

You will have to loose the black census number patch.
In 1944 that would have been a bit to conspicouos and the bike would have looked much more used.

The RE man certainly needs a nudge. There are plenty of M20's already so the emphasis should be on the other marks.

Its definitly my intention to go. 65 for 65 was an experience never to be forgotten. Snaking through the Normandy countryside gave a very special feeling. Plonkers all around, marvellous. Must admit, the weather certainly helped.

To all Norton owners, get your lazy asses of the couch!
It was a disappointing experience to see so few of so many of them.

Cheers,

Rob

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

Hi Rob..Next year we'll take a ride down to Basly to check out the location, route and the quality of the tea... ...Ian

Lee,
When at Weymouth, come up and have a chat (always plenty of time at the car park Sunday morning) I will be with a Katy, and Ian, so looking forward to 2014,

Hi Colin

Will do - lets hope the weather is a little better than its been lately. Please forgive my ignorance, but is a Katie a K2Y ambulance? I've still got a lot of learning to do...

Snuck out for 25 miles on Friday night giving me a mighty total of 40 miles on the fresh engine. Ok, the clutch isn't silky smooth but I'm getting used to its, ahem, character.

Lee
K2Y it is, always torn between that and the M20 for Weymouth, we will be there on the Friday night, do you have far to go to get there

Colin H
Lee
K2Y it is, always torn between that and the M20 for Weymouth, we will be there on the Friday night, do you have far to go to get there

I live just the other side of Shaftesbury, so not far for me at all and that weekend will be my first of its kind.
My plan is to arrive at Maiden Newton on Friday, spend Saturday with Armour & Embarkation and then Weymouth on Sunday. Not having participated in anything like this before, it should prove entertaining!

Lee. Pete Brown with his fellow NOBS riders will be in charge of the DR's.
I'll speak to Pete about it being your first event. Just make yourself known to him on the day. As you know I can't be at A&E!! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron.
I would not miss weymouth for anything, always a great time with great guys, were else can you have a free lunch on the sand,

ps, the entry forms for Buckfastleigh are now on the Devon area website

Ron Pier
Lee. Pete Brown with his fellow NOBS riders will be in charge of the DR's.
I'll speak to Pete about it being your first event. Just make yourself known to him on the day. As you know I can't be at A&E!! Ron

Thanks Ron, I'll track down Pete for a quick briefing.
All I've got to do now is find the letter I recived a couple of weeks ago that tells me the times/places - I seem to have filed it in a very safe place...

Nieuwe pagina 1