Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
i wonder

i wonder if this no MOT for pre 1960 motorcycles will effect the prices ie post 1960 will go down or stagnate and pre 1960 bike will rise which i think defenitely pre 1960 motorcycles will rise

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Re: i wonder

I don't think it would make much (if any) impact, an MOT only costs about £30 and in the big scheme of restoration costs is negligeable, besides every vehicle has to be roadworthy with or without an MOT so I can't see it making any difference. My only concern is buying a classic from a dealer, does it have to be safe? (in the form of MOTing it?) as they could sell any old rubbish on an unsuspecting customers

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

People buying pre 60's bikes are going to have to know there stuff and do the equivalent of an MOT when checking the bike. You can still take the bike to be checked over by a bike shop.

On prices, I agree, overall it wont make much difference, but it has made me stop and think. I've been building a Commando/Featherbed on a 1960 slimline frame, and I've got someone's abandoned 1959 wideline Dommie bitsa project that I bought and was going to sell. But now I'm thinking of swapping frames. I'm probably only going to do a few hundred miles a year on any of the pre 59 bike's I've got, so it will mean I can ride them at any time and save myself £120 a year.

So is the 59 frame worth more than the 60 frame..?

I will have to be more strict on myself though, and make a routine of checking the bikes over each year.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

It will affect prices, particularly where a model straddles the cut off point with little difference in spec,
Also, lots of people who got into bikes are a bit "anti establishment" & I think the psychology of one less imposed rule makes pre 60 bikes now slightly more attractive than say a 1961.

Its alot more of a saving than just paying for the MOT aswell for me, I add in the time & fuel taking the bike for the test, its to me a similar saving as road tax, which is just a few clicks online.

Finally I will be able to jump on any of my well maintained pre 60 machines on a sunny day whether it be February or July & go for a spin without discovering as so often is the case that the MOT has lapsed

Horror, your 1960 frame, I assume its registered 1960 but have you checked if its deffo manufactured 60 & not 59.

Fred you just raised one point that I have been pondering. You mention a "couple of clicks on line" to tax our vehicles, which I do several times a year. However it is never possible to tax my Morris Commercial on line. This vehicle falls into the category of 'Historic Commercial' But I try it every year and they still ask for an MOT cert. The only way to do it is at a PO or DVLA office and by filling out an MOT exemption form. I wonder if this will apply for our bikes. It seems to me that it would be quite simple for DVLA to alter the on line facility to allow this. But so far, they refuse!.....I have asked them, but it falls on deaf ears. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

just to add you always get your pre 1960s motorcycle MOTed when selling it to give the buyer some idea as to the condition of the bike

Hi Ron, ah so they have a system in place where we still may have to dance for our supper, typical !
I've had a few historic commercials, (morry pkckups, A55 pickups & a Harrington coach) but never had one MOT exempt & don't own any now, I do have a 1971 Austin 1000 pickup V5 I found recently that should do someone who needs one,
Lets hope this new batch of MOT exemptions kicks them into gear to sort that issue out, I imagine there's going to be enormous problems, particularly with machines like my friends G3L which is 1942 but just says 1960 registered on the V5 I assume he will need to pay for & then present DVLA with a dating certificate.

Roger, yes I've had a few conversations about that & had to point out that so far the government havnt outlawed volunteering your vehicle for a safety check at a testing station & I think dealers particular may continue to offer it to save arguments over condition if the bike is returned with a safety issue after the sale.

Dealers are often enthusiastis themselves & Im sure most don't want to risk sending out a machine that's not safe, although they can write a machine down as "not Roadworthy" or "for restoration".

Will you be able to offer your bike for a test when it doesn't meet half the test criteria? (the test itself is due to be revised)...Also, I wouldn't have thought they could log a non eligable vehicle onto the computer system to authorise either the test or the issueing of a certificate..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian, not sure you'd get a MOT certificate, but I'm not suggesting that, in my post I refer to a "safety test" carried out by an MOT tester who would be familiar with testing bikes post 1960, you would get & pay for a full test & a reciept to say it would pass an MOT for that vehicle.
I can't see that the criteria would be any different from say a 1962 bike that they may be testing that day.

Edit.. I've just remembered, we used to call them Pre MOT's & a seller can arrange for a customer/buyer to be present.

There is also the issue with cherished numbers. I have a cherished plate on my Morris which I paid for, and several other vehicles with transferable numbers. As far as I'm aware, A vehicle must have an MOT to transfer a number. Although I doubt I'll worry about such things. Ron

Good morning all , I have a 1940 GMC CCKW, thats called a two and a half ton,er, but could carry ten,after I rebuilt her, I asked my local HGV testing station to carry out a test on her, although not needed because its MOT exempt, the brakes passed with flying colours lots of other stuff wrong, IE hight of lights, no washers,ect, It cost the same as an mot for an HGV, but I thought well worth it,perhaps such a test NON recordable would be the way forward for our bikes if we so wished, andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Cycle Fred
Horror, your 1960 frame, I assume its registered 1960 but have you checked if its deffo manufactured 60 & not 59.

Hi Fred, none of the frames are registered, the 59 is stamped P and 60 is R. A good point though as Norton started stamping from Oct for the next year. So a slim chance it may be on the records as 59

i suppose with this plain paper MOT cert it wouldnt be hard to forge them

Andrew there are some strange rules. It sounds like even a VOSO commercial vehicle tester is not aware of all of them.
For-instance:- No windscreen washers are required on a vehicle with an opening windscreen. So not required on my Jeep/Morris/Tilly.

Roger the plain paper is just a receipt for your MOT. The actual MOT is now logged onto a database.

Ron

yes i understand that but if i gave you a made up MOT receipt could you check that its genuine and how many people would bother how many of us have ever checked the chassis number against the car you are buying i havent i only checked the M20 frame number when i brought it because he was a dealer working from home and not the address on the logbook

I don't often check the details myself on bikes, but on something with more complex & hidden areas like a van or car I write down the MOT info & before buying sometimes check what it failed on & advisories from previous MOT's if a vehicle for instance had advisory for something the owner can be quite shocked if you ask if its been attended to (good way to get a reduction if they haven't) all the info is here:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/motoring/owningavehicle/mot/dg_10020539

Nieuwe pagina 1