Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Air/choke adjustment

Does the air/choke slide have to be adjusted or left to fully close when the engine is running?
I took it be MOT'd (where the tester said that the rear brake was as good as some sportsbikes!!)which is a 7 mile round trip and if I fully close the air lever it cuts out but with a tweak of the lever it runs like a dream.
The motor has just been rebuilt so is probably tight, but I wondered if it has to be adjusted to suit?

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: Air/choke adjustment

No, choke is to restrict air & make the mixture temporarily rich for cold starting, normal running position is off ( slide in up position & not restricting air flow) however is fuel supply is being restricted by a low tank, blocked tank filter ot obstructed main jet, your engine might need the choke on a bit to compensate, so before adjusting anything, check you have a clean float bowl & jet & a good flow of fuel.

In other words the choke lever should be pulled towards you as far as it will go. I never use mine or alter it from this position. Even on cold days. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I don't even fit a choke slide in the carb..The 'tickler' is all that is needed for starting, even in the Winter months. Also, with an iron head fitted the bike reaches working temperature pretty quickly...
I fit a spare throttle cable in place of the choke cable (with nothing attached to it at the carb end)..a lot more useful I have found!...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I avoided saying "toward you" on purpose as not all bikes have the correct lever on the correct side :-D .. maybe in future I will say "tight cable" position.
Yes, I also never use or fit chokes. I do like the benefit of being able to partiality close a choke to test for rise or fall of revs though, to indicate any mixture problems, its easy to half cover a velocity stack with a piece of card but when a bike has a filter, using a choke is nice because the act of taking the filter off to do the test itself changes the behavior.

Thanks chaps. That's one bedding-in problem solved - a few more to go!

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1