Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
crankshaft spacer

Hi Guys
I have found a spacer on the outer end of the drive side crankcase, it measure 3 mm thick, 24.36 ID and 34.60 OD. This is a hardened steel washer/spacer that is broken. I can't find a lot of reference to it in the parts manuals or in the workshop manuals. Can some one tell me what it's purpose is.if it is correct and does anyone have one to sell me?. See pic?

Photobucket

email (option): wpgarage@xtra.co.nz

Re: crankshaft spacer

On the cush drive there is a spacer that sits against the outer bearing. Sometimes it is one piece with the cush drive and sometimes it is a separate spacer. But from memory, 3mm seems very thin to me Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

That spacer may have been added behind the sprocket to correct some misalignment (primary drive alignment) check the chain alignment to see, depending on the fit of your clutch centre, you may need to add a washer of the correct thickness.

Hi Phil..As Ron noted there are two types of cush drive sleeve..one has a shoulder machined onto the back of it and this fits into the recess on the outside of the drive side case and sits against the outer main bearing.
The second type does not have a shoulder machined on the back..in that case a spacer of similar dimensions to the one you have shown is fitted into the recess before the cush drive sleeve is fitted.
The correct thickness for the spacer can be determined by fitting the one you have (along with the sleeve and engine sprocket) and checking the alignment between the engine and clutch sprockets.
A measurement of any misalignment will enable you to work out the thickness of the spacer needed.
If you have a Triumph clutch with an unmodified BSA/Triumph clutch adapter you will need to make an adjustment to correct the alignment.
If you have a 'single spring' WD M20 clutch or a 'six spring' BSA clutch you may not have to make any alteration...However, check this whichever clutch you have...
The best solution, if required, is to machine a new spacer of the correct thickness rather than making adjustments using shims etc....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Guys
Thanks for the help, i will check out the sprocket alignment.

email (option): wpgarage@xtra.co.nz

Nieuwe pagina 1