Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ariel mag body query...

I have a Magneto to recondition for an Ariel but it has the wrong body fitted. It does not have the '5th. hole' drilled and tapped in the base for the Ariels 3 bolt mounting bracket...
So, I am talking about the hole drilled and tapped into the normally unused boss in the center of the mag base.
Can anyone give me a measurement for the depth of this hole?
I am unsure if it is as deep as the 4 outside holes and don't want to risk drilling too deep...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Ariel mag body query...

Ian, looking through my spare mag bodies. I have two with the tapped central hole. The one on the right is dated 1943 and has pegs in the other holes . The other one is post war and all holes are tapped. The depth of both central holes is about 13mm. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron...Now I can drill without worrying about buggering up the body!...Ian

Hi Ian
When you reassemble the gene onto the mag do you use any lube on the fibre gear? If yes what do you use? I am just starting to reassemble my M20 mag and the original fibre (tufnol?) gear had burnt looking hard black grease on the teeth and in the clutch! Also how do you decide whether to shim both bearings or just at one end? My original armature had 1 shim behind the cb end inner race and none at the drive end and no shims under the cb end cover. The rewound armature I have needs about 1.8 mm of total shim behind the inner races to take up the end float.
Rgds
Doug W

email (option): watsond@xnet.co.nz

Hi Doug, Lucas specify the application of high temperature grease to the fibre and dynamo drive gear. The housing doesn't need to be packed..just a light application on the gear teeth.
Any shims required to adjust end float are all fitted behind the drive end inner bearing race..The 'base size' shim is 1.1mm thick with thinner shims fitted for final adjustment...Ian

Thanks Ian - have to get the drive end inner race off again now - bugger!!
Doug W

email (option): watsond@xnet.co.nz

Hi Doug..Take extreme care with that..There is a proper extractor for the job and it is easy to damage the slip ring whilst removing the bearing...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1