Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forum pic..

Pretty bike, lovely photo...but fake 'patina'.
To my mind this is the 'worst of all worlds'. A bike that has been restored 'as new' is plain to see..and it is fair to argue a bike that is unrestored is carrying its 'history'...Both are being pretty honest about what they are...but this isn't..it's like a film prop to my mind..I remember this photo and the others like it from the last time they were posted..there are two or three different bikes all in exactly the same 'slightly worn' condition...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Forum pic..

Ian,
I completely disagree. What a great Matchless!
Regards,
Sven

email (option): snvosselman@hotmail.com

I'd be proud to ride that bike anywhere!

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Yes..exactly 'as found'.. ..'Selective' history at work again..Like 'aged' antique furniture and 'distressed' leather jackets...I wouldn't dispute it looks nice, but shouldn't we be able to distinguish between what is real and what isn't and regard each accordingly?..This bike has been carefully prepared to appear 'original' but it isn't...Ian

Do I see a disk brake mounted on the front wheel?

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

Does anyone know who Owens this bike as I would like to add the details to my database. It is not what I would personally do to one of my bikes but there is enough room in the world for us all. Cheers John

email (option): Tinley@btinternet.com

John Tinley
Does anyone know who Owns this bike as I would like to add the details to my database. It is not what I would personally do to one of my bikes but there is enough room in the world for us all. Cheers John

John,

Will give you his email, thought you had this one already?

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

i like patina real or fake i dont bull sh*^ my bike just leave it as is trying to get to looked used

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

It's nice enough, but rear guard is wrong.

Have a better picture of this bike, but even there you cannot see if the rear mudguard has a rib or not, when I see the bike in the flesh, I'll have a look, so no way to say it's not original.

No rear number plate holder could be late G3WO, but the census number is very early! I'm more concerned with the exhaust pipe (G3L) and silencer (postwar model) easily changed though.

Blackout mask looks more german to me.

Cheers,

Lex

John Edwards
Do I see a disk brake mounted on the front wheel?

John, no disk brake! just a very good 8" drum brake, I love them, real stopping power!!

Lex

Hi Roger..Fake patina is b******t isn't it?..Next they'll be out buying those aerosol cans of fake mud you can get for 4x4s that never get off the road...I prefer the real thing...Ian Photobucket

How's this for patina:

And unlike Ian, I never got stuck
Ask Rik, he was in the chair!! only just managing to keep his feet dry!

Lex

It was a very comfortable ride, Lex. All I had to do was stop the horn falling off and fumble in my pocket for the hip flask !

Photobucket

Rik, just sent you a mail, with a better picture of you!

Lex

ps, just had word from the owner of the G3, that the rear guard is the correct type with rib.

And there is nothing fake patina on it, it was bright red, and was just hand brushed over the red, and this is the result!! maybe we can start another thread with muddy WD bikes?? I have plenty pictures!

Lex

I dont think you can call a muddy bike patina, its all about use and road miles, my own WM20 was rebuilt nut & bolt nearly 5 years ago and is now looking well used because it is!!! also I,m not that keen on cleaning my bikes. The photo of my rebuilt B33 below is as found but everything has been rebuilt bearings/brakes engine/gearbox etc but all I did to paintwork was to clean it apart from tank which had areas of fresh paint applied then I laquered the whole thing & fitted a replacement silencer as original had suffered,its just as good as any restored bike but without the bling factor that some people like. As for the forum matchless I reckon its just a nice looking bike and thats it I have no preferences either way if it was a total restoration nice is nice..

Photobucket

Dave..

Am I missing something? It looks like a great bike to me, yeah there are incorrect items, already mentioned the exhaust and rear guard, but it doesnt look "dressed" up to me, just a restored bike thats been used. Are you sure you are not all looking at the photographic studio look and assuming its posed?

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

andrewh
Am I missing something? It looks like a great bike to me, yeah there are incorrect items, already mentioned the exhaust and rear guard, but it doesnt look "dressed" up to me, just a restored bike thats been used. Are you sure you are not all looking at the photographic studio look and assuming its posed?

Andrew, the rear guard is 100% original!!

For the rest I agree with you, nice bike.

Re. the wanted tools, (only noticed just now!) are they the cam follower pressing out tool?? have lasercutting drawings for that one.

Lex

The rear guard looks too short at the back.That's why i mentioned it.

Douglas,

There were at least 3 types of G3WO rear mudguards, (and also on the front!) as the rear numberplate holder got dropped, the rear mudguard was made shorter, to make the bike lighter, and the mudguard would not crack up so quickly anymore in hard offroad use.

Have had the short ones N.O.S. with the Matchless transfer on the back, came from Jordania of all places!

So it was the same on the front, no more front number plate? then the front mudguard got about 4/5 inches shorter.

At what contract these changes happened?, there's someone working on that!

Hope this helps,

Lex

Nieuwe pagina 1