Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Running in

The bike is very nearly ready for the MOT (if only the pre 1960 law was introduced sooner...) and I wondered if anyone has tips for the running in procedure/duration?
It's been re-bored and had new piston, mains,etc.

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: Running in

Lee the roller bearings don't realy need any running in. Just like the wheel bearings on your car. It's the piston and bore that is the most concern. How much piston skirt clearance did your machine shop give? What I mean is the tighter the clearance, the more gentle you need to be to start with.
On a newly built engine, I will run it in the shed to get it hot, then let it cool and recheck the head bolts. With a modern composite gasket this can take up to five times. A solid copper gasket only takes once. I then take it round the block a couple of times to prove it's ok and I haven't forgotten something. Then a 10 mile run and increase the mileage as the confidence builds up. I'm in the town for the first short runs, so 30mph is all I do and don't over rev or labour the engine. Then 30-40 on gentle runs for the first 200 miles and just build up as the miles clock up and oil change at 500 miles. After which just use the bike but bear in mind it's still a low mileage engine and still bedding the rings in. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I agree 100% with what Ron has said. All good advice. It is a bit difficult to explain if you haven't had to do it a lot.

Basically, common-sense - Don't lug it and don't thrash it for the first five hundred and then from there on, gradually use the performance more and more.

I have no doubt that these old engines need to settle down and find their sweet spots.

I change the oil after 50 miles or less first, because that's when or if there'll be any metal deposits in the oil. There usually is, and without filters I'd rather change it.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Same here..I do 50 miles maximum..often less..and then change the oil. If you have introduced small particles or foriegn bodies during the rebuild they are removed early on that way...
I also change it at 250, 500 and 1000 miles, reverting to normal 2000 mile intervals after that..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks for the advice chaps, much appreciated.

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1