Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
should I remove M20 drive sprocket just to replace a gasket?

The drive sprocket on my M20 is the only thing left on my chaincase inner preventing me from removing it completely. I'm about to button up my engine, and I'm loathe to remove it just to replace the gasket. Would I be a bodger if I took two gaskets and cut a slit, and then put them 90 degrees out. This would avoid me having to remove that sprocket.

What say 'the hive?'

bodgerly yours?
Kevin

Re: should I remove M20 drive sprocket just to replace a gasket?

Yes if it works out ok.
No If it doesn't work out ok

Well... I guess thanks for the moral support!

hi kevin,its not a big deal to remove the cush drive assembly and sprocket,i cant see why you are worried about it.if you dont take the chaincase off how will you
clean and paint behind it?
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Kevin,

Take off the cush drive. Robb sells a special tool for the job, or use the time-honoured method of a hammer and a brass drift to unscrew the special nut.

Use Loctite on the thread when you reinstall it.

Jeff

email (option): jjbandoo@aol.com

Hi Kevin..Note also that the three bolts that hold the primary case to the crankcase should have the heads 'cross drilled' and be wired together after tightening. A risk of using two gaskets is that when you tighten these three bolts they will deform the cover, 'squashing' it into the gaskets..The covers damage easily there..in fact you should use full thickness washers under the bolt heads as well...
There is no real difficulty in removing and replacing the cush drive as Jeff mentioned..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

At the end of the day, it's the results that matter most.

As the Hobbits say, "short cuts make long delays."

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Hi Robb,

When your next batch of clutch spring compressors gets done, looks like I could use a engine lock ring tool too.

e-mail sent

Kevin

Nieuwe pagina 1