Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spoke dimensions

Does anybody have a list of the spoke dimensions used on the WDM20? I think it would be useful to have that in the Technical Section
Spoke makers need these details, and the gauge:
Spaakmaten
And if they were butted or not; who can help?

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Re: Spoke dimensions

Hans, This is a link to the BSA service sheets,(copy & paste into your browser) The one for spoke diamensions is sheet no 714 this will give you spoke sizes for M20/M21, also other BSA models.

http://www.classicrider.dk/english/technic/ServiceSheets.php

Also a good selection of other service sheets here. Dave

hi hans,russell motors list nos spokes,perhaps it would be useful if somebody could get samples of them to be kept for reference in the future,trouble would be where to store them and other parts to be used in this way
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

If anyone could fill in the blanks on the diagram that Hans put up it would be really great.Maybe what the sizes are for front and rear. I had a set of spokes made but they turned out to be wrong.

Cheers,
Mike

email (option): jamik@westnet.com.au

Well, it's all in the diagram, and for 1947 the sizes are as follows:

Front left : 8-3/4" 10 gauge.
Front right: 6-3/4" 8-10 gauge. (so butted?)

The 1954 "Standards Book" gives both as 10 gauge!

Rear left : 8-5/8" 8 gauge-3/16" (is that the dia.?)
Rear right : 8-3/4" 8 gauge.

20/20 spokes in 1 wheel.

Maybe someone can confirm these sizes, especially if only the off side of the frontwheel is butted, it looks that way in factory pictures.

Have loads of galvanised 7-3/4" long spokes, 8 gauge, can be bought cheap! but of no use on the M20.

Cheers,

Lex, who knows nothing about M20's

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

I am drawing as many parts to my 1943 M20 as I possibly can using Autocad or Solidworks. Right mow, I am drawing all the fasteners to the gearbox, and may of those components.

I no longer have access to sophisticated measuring equipement though, so doing something like a casting or frame components is not going to happen in my future.

I'd be happy to draw any part that anyone has. I may already have it done by the way. Send me the part number so I can check.

If someone has a dismantled front or rear wheel, or will take spokes out of each and label them, I'll draw them and pass around to whomever wants a drawing.

Cheers

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Thanks guys, that's a good start.
I made a table with what is known at the moment; as you can see, the missing things are the hook and the angle.
I'll dis up a set of old spoke that came off the bike when it arrived from Egypt , I think they were the original spokes.
By the way: the gauge is the British Imperial Standard Wire? I translated these to more measurable measures
Please check the figures in the table for errors, we will all benefit
Spoke size table

Thats perfect Hans. If you find out what the angle is could you please let me know.

Cheers,
Mike

email (option): jamik@westnet.com.au

I checked the real original spokes in my rear wheel, and the results are as follows:
15-7037: butted 4,8/4,3mm, length about 221 - 222mm, hook offset about 4,5mm but difficult to measure, as is the angle but it is something like 110 degr.
26-6824: 4,3mm, length 224mm, hook offset and angle as above.
You would expect that the angle would be different for the spokes inside and outside of the flanges, but they are the same!
Remains the spoke dimensions for the front wheel; unfortunately, I don't have them any more. Does anybody have an original wheel and is willing to measure the spokes, so we can complete the data sheet?

Nieuwe pagina 1