Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1st and 2nd Gear change problem, pics incl. M20

Since my last ride I can not get the gear in 1st and 2nd. Was ok, and smooth before that.

I have dismantled the front gearbox cover...showing some interesting stuff. Need some acknowledgement that my findings are correct.

third tooth is ok, and shifts right in.
second tooth seems to be broken? worn?

I can get it on the 2nd tooth with some help by hand...but the 2 pieces do not seem to align very well. Should it?

Now the first tooth, it does not even reach that far back..how can this be?

Now one worry is that it is not in line as can be seen below...any suggestions, perhaps missing washers?

I am pretty sure I need to replace the selector as the 2nd tooth seems to be broken off. I had a look at De Groot BSA which is close to me..but they do not seem to have the part, any suggestions?

Thanks !!

Last one, any suggestions on the top bolt with which the cover is mounted. It is the top one, and it is a pain in the #$ to reach it with the oil lines behind it, must be a trick? ;-)

Thanks allot guys! Looking forward to your top advise as always!

Jacco

email (option): vansnippenberg@yahoo.com

Re: 1st and 2nd Gear change problem, pics incl. M20

Hi Jacco,
With your alignment problem, Is the circlip that sits on the gear change spline in place? It would be behind the gear change lever in a small groove at the back of the spline in your first photo. If it's missing it will allow the ratchet plate to move outward when the outer cover is off, giving you the misalignment you see. As for the worn tooth I don't think that this will be stopping you from changing gears. You may have a broken gear change pawl spring, these are at the back of the ratchet and pawls and you will need to remove the ratchet assembly to get access to them.
Let us know how you get on.

email (option): spacemonkeym@gmail.com

Hi Jacco,
Did you have a look at the gearbox item in the Technical section?

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Hi Matty, thanks for the suggestions.....don't have time now to work on it right now, but I'll update later this week. Now at least I am sure the allignment is not correct, I'll check based on your tips.

@ Hans, yes I have read it through....will follow those steps when I figured out the allignment.

Thanks so far!

Jacco

email (option): Vansnippenberg@yahoo.com

Hi Jacco,

I have at least two fo those asswmblies as spares with good teeth. Bu all means, change out the springs, and inspect that circlip.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Well. sunny weekend, time toget the hands dirty again!

Dismantled the gearchange mechanism...looks ok to me..all parts seem to be there...but.

I still a have play, even with the circlip in place.

see below photos:

Think I'll just make a spacer to lock it up....behind the circlip..? It bothers me that I seem to have all the parts...but somehow still have play

Thanks for the help guys! Had a 40mls drive today and all seems to be ok.

The play was gone once the whole assembly was installed again!

Thanks once more!!

Regards, J.

Good to hear Jacco.
Did you get to the bottom of your original problem?

email (option): spacemonkeym@gmail.com

My best guess is that it is just a combination of factors. Reinstalment and firmly tightening up the parts and adjustment of the rod and where needed seemed to do the trick.

Jacco

Nieuwe pagina 1