Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 drive side bearing

Is it really necessary to remove the inside seal of the drive side metric ball bearing ?

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Re: M20 drive side bearing

I think leaving the seal in place is a good idea....no need to remove; bearing grease remains pristine, unsullied by contaminated gearbox lubricant..

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

Hans

I also did not remove the inside seal of the bearing. My WM20 therefore gives a better ride. As you can see on youtube.

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Hi Hans..Do you mean the drive side engine bearing or gearbox bearing? I was advised by RHP bearings to remove the inner seal of the engine bearing as the oil also functions as a cooling agent...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Sorry, I meant the engine drive side bearing! When I disassembled the engine the outer (small) bearing came out with both seals, in perfect condition, but it leaked a bit of oil(grease?) due to the heating of the case.
Nevertheless since the cost is very low I will get a new one in. But the other one (6305), a beautiful new SKF one, has also two metal seals that seem difficult to remove. Is that cooling function so important

I found an NSK metric roller bearing without seals, so that solves the problem! I'll keep that sealed one for the DNO (Distinguished next owner)

Hi Hans...I fit them with one seal removed..The seals will 'pop' quite easily with the application of a small screwdriver or similar..
There's no doubting the engine is a hot environment and I expect RHP gave what they consider to be sound advice.
In the event of the bike standing for long periods and the oil dropping into the crankcase I guess the seal would help to minimise the amount reaching the primary cases...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1