Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 rear wheel bearings

I have a spare rear wheel, without bearings. It seems there is a metric ball bearing equivalent for the hub. But when I measure with an inside mike I find 47 and 48 mm...

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Re: M20 rear wheel bearings

Hi Hans..You can get a cheap, modern, taper roller bearing that fits right in to the M20 rear hub..The bearing number is 30204...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=503106

Thanks Fred, about the same price as in the Netherlands !

Now I have a problem Ian; the outside-inside (am I a bit clear?) is 47mm, but the drum side is 48mm, so I am missing 1 mm....
Time to gear up my trusty old Myford, clean up the inside seat and make a ring, inside 47, outside 48+mm...

I don't understand that Hans..The hub takes the same bearing both sides normally...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Whilst I was jumbling today I spoke to my mate who does bearings and he has some NOS genuine Timkens for the M20 wheel, please pm me for his phone number if you want them.
Dave

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Ian Wright
I don't understand that Hans..The hub takes the same bearing both sides normally...Ian

Well, one side where the bearing sits in the hub is worn out. The holes where the pegs on the brake drum enter are also worn, and I suppose the bike has been driven without those three flange bolts properly tightened, and that has caused the wear.
So I have to bore that side of the hub from 48 mm to 49mm, then crimp/loctite an undersize ring and finally bring that to 47 mm.
Unless you have a better method

Thanks Dave, but I ordered them 10 minutes ago from Conrad; €11/piece !

Nieuwe pagina 1