Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A10 RH brake speedo

I have a 19" QD rear wheel (off an A10 I believe) with RH brake. I would like to run it on my 68 t120 project, but need to figure out how to mount a speedo drive on the wheel instead of g/box. Any one know how to do this?

email (option): mossy@wideband.net.au

Re: A10 RH brake speedo

Hi Mossy..You will have a problem trying to do this..You can't drive the speedo from the sprocket side because of chain alignment and the brake plate is fixed on the brake side. So there is nowhere that is rotating with the hub that you can access to put a speedo drive etc. in...
Depending on what front wheel you have there may be an option there for a speedo driven off the front wheel..or you could go with a digital speedo that uses pick ups mounted on the spokes and a fixed point on the forks or swinging arm for example....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Or buy a cheap Tomtom satnav (or install on an old windows smartphone), I've used that system when riding road legal comp bikes & its good as the speed flashes red when exceeding the speed limit so no need for constant staring at it.
And Tomtoms better as a speedo than the navigation app on my latest phone because the old tomtom system runs as long as i like without using data or any cost at all.

That's a good idea Fred, no magnets to fix to the wheel and pick-ups on the fork leg. This is something I've been pondering over for the Manx. I wonder if it will pass an MOT with a sat-nav as a speedo..?

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Also on long 50mph motorway Roadworks with average speed cameras I use it whatever vehicle I'm in because I can do a genuine constant 50mph when my van or car speedometers shows 53mph. Not a big difference but a hugely more satisfying overtaking people on over reading cable driven speedos.

Speedometers is not an MOT requirment in UK But a legal requirement for when your on the road so that's no problem.
another handy thing with a smartphone taped to the handlebars is you can have a Hooter sound on it for the horn as some testers don't like bulb horns & insist on continuous note. Our bikes SHOULD pass with bulb horn in UK.

Hi Fred, I've noticed that every car I've been in and used a sat-nav the speedo reads 5mph faster. I think this must be so car companies don't get sued if someone went through a speed trap, so you are actually going slower. Also the sat-nav says it's 90 miles to my destination but the car trip meter says 100 miles when I get there, because the speedo's been reading higher.

I didn't know a speedo wasn't a requirement of an MOT, so that's handy. I have had bikes passed with a bulb horn if the electric horn has packed in. My local bike shop is quite good like that. There's nothing "smart" about my phone... but it can do brick impressions

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Horror...Bulb Horns are only OK for the MOT on motorcycles built before 1st August 1973...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yes I keep forgetting there's motorcycles made after 73 ... I even owned one once it was a 1977 Fantic GT :-D

modern car speedos are not very accurate the last car i have was nearly 5 mph out so 30 would register 26 mph using a sat nav my new car registered 32 mph at 30mph ho hum

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Nieuwe pagina 1