Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
G3L: Oil Not going up to the Rocker Box (What May be Wrong?)

Hi friends, There seems to be some mystery problem with my G3L. The oil from the engine doesn't seem to go up to the rocker box. Is the oil pressure not right? There is a quite some leak from the clutch side engine case. Will this be the reason? Or should I check on something else.

Tavery

email (option): tavery.p@hotmail.com

Re: G3L: Oil Not going up to the Rocker Box (What May be Wrong?)

Is the oil is returning to the oil tank as it should?

I would take the end cover off the end of the oil pump where the pipe goes up to the rocker box. Turn the engine over whilst looking at the end of the oil pump to make sure it is turning and reciprocating properly. Then look at the paper gasket on the end cover and make sure it is not covering the hole to the pipe. You can then take the pipe off and make sure their is no obstruction in the pipe. If all is ok then there is no reason the oil should not get to the rocker box. It is possible that if you have a very warn engine then it may be breathing into the primary chain case and positively charging it with air and forcing out the oil . If it is very warn it could be blowing oil out of the breather which is hidden behind the primary chain case. Cheers John

email (option): Tinley@btinternet.com

Hi Bill the oil is coming back to the oil tank through the oil tube, it is only the rocker box which doesn't get any oil.Is it because of the drop in oil pressure because of the oil leak?

Thanks

email (option): tavery.p@hotmail.com

While you are investigating the problem, if you haven't done this already- turn the engine to TDC on the compression stroke, take off the gearbox side end cover on the pump and the guide pin that it is retained by and re-insert the pump so that it is fully forward (as far in as it will go), you may have to try it in and out a few times before you get it right, then replace the guide pin and the end cover.
This is supposed to minimise the possibility of wet sumping.
On the subject of your problem, are you sure you have the gaskets on the pump correctly fitted and you aren't blocking an oil hole?

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

If all the oil ways are clear then I have seen this twice and it was solved by changing the guide pin. It doesn't take much wear for the holes not to line up and the oil not to be fed to the pipe going up to the rockers. Only £2.50 for a new pin from AMOC

Nieuwe pagina 1