Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
gearbox bushes

Hello everyone,

I am working on my gearbox. I have 2 questions. i can move the Layshaft bush( short clutch end) a very little bit(i think 0,05 mm) in and out the case. Is this normal? I think that now oil can leak out of the box?

How do you now witch bushes in the gearbox to replace or is OK. by hand is feel ok en workd ok, but maybe there is a way to find out. The gearbox is now apart, so if the advise is replace alle the bushes, now is the time te advise me.

email (option): jeroen.roos@hccnet.nl

Re: gearbox bushes

If the end play is good, there is no need to replace the bushing. However, while you're in that gearbox, replace the drive side bearing with a sealed unit. Take out the inside seal.

If you use the search function, you can find all the answers. Here's one valuable thread:

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1211653&cmd=show

Hoi Kevin,

Thanx for your information. I allready have the rubber seald bearing orderd. I just was interested if its normal that the bush could move a bit and if there was a method to check the the health of the bush. I try to use the search better to find awnsers

Thx

email (option): jeroen.roos@hccnet.nl

That bush should be a press fit. I heated my cases to drop out the ball bearing and original oil seal.

While still hot, I had to pound out that bushing using an oak dowel and a two pound sledge.

The case bushings are all press fit as I know them.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Thx Robb,I am ordering a nieuw one that fits, so i dont have to sweap oil.

Is it possible to change this bearing with the gearbox still in the bike, or is it a stripdiwn job?

email (option): jimstott51@virginmedia.com

Hi Jim...Theoretically you can change the bearing with the gearcase still in the bike..I've done it on a swinging arm B31...
However, You don't have gravity on your side when you come to fit the new bearing and getting it aligned correctly with the housing is..er..challenging.
An additional problem with the M20 box is that you need it out of the bike to be able to see in through the inspection hole to ensure everything is working/set correctly on reassembly....
Also, by the time you have an empty gearcase in the bike you have removed 95% of it anyway...
Personally, I wouldn't consider doing it that way on an M20....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Jim,
It can be done in the bike but it's a pain, all the internals have to be removed, the primary case and clutch removed. It's easier to take the box out and strip it on the bench.

email (option): spacemonkeym@gmail.com

Thanks guys, probably put up with the leak for a while then!

email (option): jimstott51@virginmedia.com

Nieuwe pagina 1