Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oil treatment?? Or not!

I just spoke with a WLA owner who told me he adds a bit of STP to his oil with what he said were "Good results" whatever that means. Is it a good idea or not?

Re: Oil treatment?? Or not!

Hello Samuel,

As far as I know, STP (may be not all of their products, but I know that at least some )
Is making a kind of Teflon cover over the parts, which means that there is a coat on the inside of the barrel.

It helps if the engine is worn out, and can also reduce friction, help with compassion and oil consumption, so you have nothing to lose.

On the other hand, when used with a good engine, it could burn inside the barrel from intensive heat, become rough and increase friction and
Hurt the barrel, rings and piston.

Another case is if more of the STP is caught on a specific part of the barrel amore than on other part,
The cylinder doesn’t wear evenly.
and generally, today’s oil already contain all the necessary additives.

This is what I heard a long time ago.

I bet someone will correct me,
And will be happy to learn also.

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

The best way to give an engine a treat ... Is fresh oil.

I've never really thought upper cylinder lubricants to be necessary...Any benefits would only be apparent over very high mileages in terms of wear reduction I would think..and you would have no real way of quantifying any gain anyway. Your basically taking the manufacturers word for it..possibly a dubious recommendation.
A carefully run in engine, with regular oil changes carried out, shouldn't have any problems really...
In the past I have added a little two stroke oil to the petrol in the very early stages of running in but haven't even done that for years. I also don't mention it as an 'advisory' in the running in instructions that go with the rebuilt engines I do... and I'm not aware of any vehicle manufacturers who stipulate its use either..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yeah, well he didn't really tell me what good results he was getting from it. My brother is an aircraft engine overhauler and he told me they used to assemle the engines with a 50/50 mixture of stp and correct grade oil, the STP would stick to the parts along with the oil and assist in initial startups. Thats how I put then engine together, but the heck with adding it to the regular oil changes. Thanks guys

Years ago I understood that STP was a viscocity multiplier, so that it upped the oil viscocity for very old, tired engines. Just looked it up, STP calls it a viscocity improver. In other words it ups 50W to 60W or whatever!!! There are other additives in it that may be helpful, I know it makes an engine stink. I do not think an engine in good condition needs any additive with quality oil.

email (option): jrosson886@att.net

Hi All
Another thing to consider is that if there are solids (PTFE Teflon) in the additive they will centrifuge out and fill up any sludge traps in crankshafts etc. Old BMWs feed oil to the roller big ends via a quill squirting into a sort of saucer on the end crank webs with a lip and a hole through the crankpin, when the lip is centrifuged full no more oil to the big ends!! The only way to clean out the saucer is to strip the crankshaft out of the engine (much harder than an M20). I wouldn't use additives and agree with those above – change the oil often.
Best wishes
Doug W

email (option): watsond@xnet.co.nz

Joe Rosson
Years ago I understood that STP was a viscocity multiplier, so that it upped the oil viscocity for very old, tired engines. Just looked it up, STP calls it a viscocity improver. In other words it ups 50W to 60W or whatever!!! , .

We used to call it "Honey oil" because of its color and viscosity, and used it for old, smoky motors.

Would never put it in a good engine.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

I thought it meant ____ SHOOT THE POPE____ ! Now that would be a good idea.
Anon

Annon
I thought it meant ____ SHOOT THE POPE____ ! Now that would be a good idea.
Anon

Actually the name was originally derived from "Scientifically Treated Petroleum" but a buddy of mine uses it in tired old vehicles before selling them - calls it "Sell That Pig" !

email (option): vinver@ns.sympaticodotca

i remember helping stripping down an engine on an AC ace that was used for some racing when we took the main bearings off there was a thin coating like plastic that you could peel off i was told it was STP

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Nieuwe pagina 1