Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clutch

Hi all

After the backyard gearbox & clutch rebuild last week - the blue gloves are back on to get my bike sorted for Normandy, but I have at this time a problem

On previous posts I have seen that many forum members run their clutches without all the plates fitted, as this eliminates a lot of clutch drag / set up issues - I have done the same, the clutch is rebuilt with many new parts inc ferodo friction plates

As the push rod has not changed, I cannot get the clutch plates to engage (always separated) so it seems the pushrod needs to be shortened to suit the reduced no of plates

Am I right in this ?
If so, what length should the pushrod rod be cut to ?

Any information is gratefully accepted

Many thanks

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Re: Clutch

Hi John..You might have to shorten the push rod..but before you do that check to see if you can adjust it by backing off the screw in the clutch operating arm at the gearbox cover end.
If that won't do it you will then have to shorten the rod.
There is no specific measurement for this..
So, soften one end of the pushrod by heating to red and allowing it to cool naturally.
You won't have to take off very much..I would start by taking off approx 1/16" and then trying it, cutting off more in small increments and retrying it until you get it right. Remember that when the handlebar lever is fully pulled in the operating arm should be vertical after adjustment. Use the screw in the operating arm to make adjustments and then alter the cable settings to suit..don't use the cable to make any adjustments. Also check that you have some free play at the pushrod/operating arm end after you have adjusted the cable.
Reharden the rod by heating to red and quenching immediately in cold water.
After hardening you will have to temper it back as it will be too hard.
Clean off the end for the last 1" or so of the rod with emery until you have a bright finish.
Put the rod in a low flame and let it come gradually up to temperature. As the temperature rises the rod will change colour...first a pale yellow (straw) then a darker yellow then brown etc.
Just as the rod starts to darken from the pale yellow, quickly quench again in cold water.
Don't worry if you go too dark...you just repeat the hardening and tempering process again from the beginning....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Clutch

Thanks Ian

Even with the screw removed from the adjuster side, it's nowhere near vertical with the lever pulled

In fact with the handlebar lever in the home position - the clutch plates are separated & the arm is way out

Even with the old pushrod inserted which is worn both ends over the years, this is too long

I might have to take off quite a bit :-/

I'll be at it again tomorrow

Happy days

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1