Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Enfield Valve guide help!

The engine for my WD/L came with only one valve guide...and that is broken. So at least I have a pattern.
Can anyone tell me (Ian/Jan/Dave) the correct material to use or has anyone got some material? Could I use Bronze? What grade?. It measures about 2.8" x 1/2" + the little collar. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Enfield Valve guide help!

in the sixties i had my triumph T100ss tuned which included bronze valve guides plus porting and twin carbs i did try a wall phillips injector but was a pain in the a*"e so that didnt last long on the bike

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Hi Ron, I don't think you'd have a problem with bronze, Enfield used them later on and no Enfields are susceptable to valve guide wear, so I'd just get them made from bronze

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Thanks Dave. I'm no engineer and can easily get my mate to make them. But would I have to specify a grade of bronze?
Roger I'll give that injector a miss then Ron

Hi Ron...You will have to specify a bronze grade. Normal bushing bronzes such as PB1 will work but are not ideal..modern high silicone bronzes are now used for guides which have better wear characteristics.
A good grade is CA104 but it isn't the easiest to machine and is expensive.
The advantage of bronze guides is that you can run any valve type in them...
Another way to go is to make a steel 'carrier' that conforms to the original guides dimensions and then fit a bronze guide liner of a suitable size...these can be obtained from engine shops (probably Cox and Turner). They are used routinely to repair car heads.
Machine and fit your steel carriers, with a pilot hole in them and then let C&T fit and size the liners in place.
I'd discuss that with them first though to ensure they have suitable liners.
Finally, there are M20 guides...It may be possible to use these with the shank turned to the correct O.D. and a steel sleeve pressed over the end to provide the shoulder..that depends on the stem size of the Enfield valves and the overall dimensions, which would have to be investigated...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

ron its a bit late it was 50 odd years ago had a look in my shed i havent got it anymore was thinking of putting on my M20 ian and his sprinter he will think he is in first gear as i go by with my wall phillips spluttering along weeeeowww!!

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Thanks Ian. I'll see if I can buy a small length of this CA104. Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1