Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clutch plate cover

The Norton parts list has part no. 3347 (clutch plate cover) listed.

Photobucket

I never found it in any of my two Nortons....

Photobucket

I guess its purpose is to keep the oil away from the clutch's plates, but is it safe to ride without it?
Has anybody else had the same lack?

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Re: Clutch plate cover

It's looking damned fine, Kostas.

The band round the clutch drum is to keep oil away from the plates and was a consequence of Norton introducing their patented 'Oil bath' chaincase but retaining the dry clutch design. None of which bothered Nortons too much as they were focussed on track successes and the racers ran their primaries open.

If you run standard cork plates without the band then they will, sooner or later, soak up oil and start to slip. However, the band was deleted after the move to bonded friction materials as it was no longer needed.

What clutch plates are you using ?

If you intend to run without oil in the chaincase (which is not something that I'm comfortable with) then you certainly don't need the band and in fact the clutch will cool better without it.

Hi Rik,

Thanks for the compliment.
I'm using "sureflex" bonded friction plates, so I guess the lack of the plate cover is not something I should be worried about.
My intention is to run with oil in the chaincase (that is if the oil stays in the chaincase!).

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

talking about oiling primary chains i wonder if anybody has thought of running it with scott oiler some how as you can regulate the flow and just draining the chain case now and then it cant be hard to hide it

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

You'll be fine without the band if you're using Surflex plates Kostas.

On the other hand, if you want extreme accuracy when the cover is off, make me an offer that I can't refuse for the one that I'll probably never put back on.

Looking good Kostas

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1