Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Wheel rims

I am about to rebuild my Matchless G3 wheel rims and wondered who the majority of you use and what the costs work out at. I am wondereing whether it is a waste paying for stainless fittings when it will all be painted anyway. any comments and advice will be much appreciated. thanks Andrew

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Re: New Wheel rims

I would recommend the Brickwood Rim Company..and specify Devon Rim Company rims..I usually use zinc plated spokes and unplated rims, powder coating them before painting. The powder coating needs flatting back before applying paint to give a good 'key'.
I can't advise on current prices..it is a while since I last had some done...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

thanks Ian, i will look into that now. Central Wheel services Birmingham anyone?

Andrew,

I wouldn't recommend CWC. I ordered some rims from them and they drilled them at the wrong angle and although I gave them the right specifications they wouldn't take them back.

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

And the rims are crap..I had some built by them and the 'kick' where the ends of the rolled up rim were misaligned when welded was so bad, I did one Normandy trip and then cut them off...They have had this problem for a long time but can't be bothered to fix it..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I got a set of stainless steel spokes from them for my front wheel rebuild which where spot on , but yes , I've heard that their rims are not the toast of the town . If I remember rightly I went for stainless because there was'nt much price difference between stainless spokes and plain steel , although I cant for the life of me remember how much they cost.

well thats pretty clear. thanks guys. will stick with Devon Rims I guess. I am beginning to think that a nicely restored WD bike is the wrong price. In that the costs not including labour take this exercise into the thousands. Then the bikes are only worth 4 to 5k? I reckon my very complete G3WO will cost me about 2500 without labour when complete.

Nieuwe pagina 1