Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Info over ww2 motor

Hoi,

Via het WW2talk.com forum kwam ik er achter dat deze motor waar m'n opa hier op zit een BSA is.

Ben benieuwd of iemand er meer informatie over heeft?

Re: Info over ww2 motor

As far as I know 112 is a Princes Irene Brigade number.

Henk.

Photobucket

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

OK, verstuurd. Vreemd, hier zie ik hem wel.

Het is wel zichtbaar !

I pointed the poster in this direction as I thought that P.I.B. on an M20 with known rider would be right up your street.

I still can't see the photo in the original posting, don't understand why I can't see it there.

Henk.

Picture has been sent, maybe a login at the ww2talk forum is required. I sorta hotlinked the picture from there. I won't tell if you don't

I am not a member of that forum and I know Rik is so that is probably why I can't see it.

If I did my calculations good it should have frame number WM20 35388 and it's build in 1941. It's not in the keycards we have so it's not sure what happened with it after the war ended. Could it still be in the shed behind the house?

Great photo.

Henk.

I thought that I'd copy the original post from WW2talk over as there is quite a story behind the photo.

"Here's a picture of my granddad in '45. He was with the only active Dutch brigade during WW2, the Prinses Irene Brigade.

Can someone help me out on which type of motorcycle he's riding? The brigade was under the British flag, so I'm guessing it's a British bike. But it could be American too, unfortunately antique motorcycles is not one of my strong points

Little background: this is right after he first met his daughter, my aunt, sitting on the back. It was also a surprise he came back, as he has been declared dead 2 times during WW2. Luckily for me he wasn't- my mother was born about 2,5 years after this picture. "

Unfortunately- no. He died back in '98, as I recall he actually disliked motorcycles from what he told me. So I doubt he'd keep one, never seen it in his shed also.

But to me, owning the motorcycle in this picture would be awesome, so if there is any chance it still survived after all these years and it pops up, I'd be very much interested. OK, realize it's a slim to no chance..

The picture shows a later model BSA of the "3e gevechtsgroep" (third fighting unit) of the Prinses Irene Brigade. With "later" I mean a replacement for the bikes obtained in 1941 when the Brigade was formed.

It seems the "rider" is wearing the blue/orange lanyard (Invasiekoord) signifying that he landed in Normandy between 7th and 15th of August 1944. It also indicates that this picture was made after March 1945.
The trade badge on his left arm is not very clear but it looks to be something else than those used for riders/drivers.
His shoes are definitly not riding kit!

I cannot add much more than this.

Cheers,

Rob vd B

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1