Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless Tool Boxes

I took the old G3/WO to a local show the other day and a young lad asked me a question I couldn't answer. Why has your bike got two tool boxes mister? Can anyone tell me what would have been in the two boxes? and before you start, I know all the BSA lads will say that it's because the Matchless needed twice as many spares and tools to keep it running!!

Re: Matchless Tool Boxes

Hi Bill..BSAs answer to the larger WD toolkit was to increase the depth of the standard box to accommodate it..I guess Matchless, and others, went down the route of the extra box to create the additional space needed...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ditto. The early war Norton toolbox had an extra central section welded in to make it deeper than the civilian version.

In addition to the normal toolkit listed in the parts books, for most models the War Department also published expanded lists of extra equipment including the puncture kit, the folding oil can, the padlock and chain etc, not to mention the two leather or webbing straps.

If you want to go down the extremely fascinating but often quite expensive route of a complete original toolkit to fill your two boxes then you'll need to start with a copy of the parts book for your contract, preferably with the extra stapled-in attachements.

I don't have any Matchless info.

My extra one is for carrying a couple of cans of beer! Photobucket

Thanks for the answers eveyone. I just wondeed if it was for anything specific and now I know. I'm not planning on becomming a spanner collector just yet, but I must admit I do have a soft spot for those little oil cans with the folding spouts on them. Lovely bike by the way Douglas, very nice indeed.

Doesn't quite explain why AMC went from two toolboxes on the G3 to one (an identical box) on the G3L........?

Mind you, early WD/CO's have up to three toolboxes....

I think that they probably knew that the panniers were coming. Nortons had that brief flirtation with twin steel toolboxes which disappeared for a while before pannier fitment became standard.

talking of Matchless G3 toolboxes, I need a pair with knobs. I see that there a few on E bay, but being such an important and relatively large part of the bike I am not keen to buy them without seeing them Can anyone guide me please? Maybe you have a pair of originals sitting waiting for me!!???

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

hi there. Thanks for the intel. I am not sure which are the Indian replicas and which are made in the UK . I am told some are made over here. I guess I should get along to a swop meet and see them in the flesh so to speak. Anyway, thanks for he information. I have to say, I would like to get originals if I can

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Nieuwe pagina 1