Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless G3L: Mismatching oil Tubes

Hello All,
My 1942 G3L did not have the copper oil tubes (From Oil Tank to the engine) when I bought it. However I managed to get a set of original pipes after a lot of searching.
Now I see that there one nut doesn't exactly fit in the engine case. The thread in the engine case is too big for the nut in the oil tube. The threads however are perfect. Should I use some kind of an adapter or something? There is one adapter for the bottom hole. The top hole is where the mismatch is.

Regards
Pratap

email (option): prataphenry@gmail.com

Re: Matchless G3L: Mismatching oil Tubes

Henry, it's hard to imagine what nut you have and how you'd have room for any adaptor? I am trying to restore the pipes on my G3 to some form of oil tightness. They were glued in with goo and PTFE tape and the bottom nut was badly rounded off to the point were I had a job to find a spanner that worked.
Anyway Les at Russells managed to find me two NOS nuts. One of my pipes was fitted with a soldered nipple. the other has a flared end (I think the flared end is correct). I am waiting for some new imperial solder nipples to arrive from 'Vintage Supplies' and I'm going to have a go at a decent repair. You could do the same thing to correct your wrong pipe. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the reply. My motorcycle had an adapter on the lower oil hole. I am attaching a similar pic here for reference. I will try to follow the procedure that you advised. Please do take a look and let me know your thoughts on this.
Photobucket

Regards
Pratap

email (option): prataphenry@gmail.com

I haven't got that fitting on my G3 or G3L. Both pipe nuts screw directly into the crankcase. I'm sure it would work with that adapter though. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The pipes on my G3 wind straight into the casing too, just as Ron decribes and they are a bad fit, are chewed to bits and leak oil, also just as Ron describes!! There is no adapter on mine and I wonder if yours has been fitted with an anti wet-sumping valve or something of the kind?

The adapter was used on later Matchlesses, from 1949 onwards I think, made it easier? to fit and dissasemble, but it was used in the top hole as far as I can remember.

The crankcases and cylinder look to be from a 1946/52 500cc, so not G3L, that's probably why the adapter was fitted!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): Welbike@welbike.net

Lex is right, definatley post '48ish when the valve lifter was moved to the rockerbox. Hence the unmachined csastings where the valve lifter should be.
Cheers, Mick.

This is my system on a '48 version. Photobucket

Nieuwe pagina 1