Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
gearbox advise please

Hello experts!!

I started to check my gearbox type 66-3030 (stamped on the box)
When I looked through the inspection cover everything looked OK but then I saw that there was copper glitters under in the box. This means that somewhere metal is touching each other without lubrication. The other components do not have these traces, in which it does not appear to be a shortage of oil. I have the suspicion that Main Shaft sleeve gear bush comes outside the main gear shaft sleeve and grinds to the main gear shaft. If I manually check the sleeve with the shaft everything slides smooth and it fits good together. I don’t know what the tolerance should be.
Here some pictures:
https://picasaweb.google.com/110776193664851364860/Gearbox#

I now I have a few questions:

1. Have you seen this before in this way and what to do?
2. now the gearbox totally dismantled I would like your advice what to replace and what not.
3. every other tip!!!

Thanks Jeroen

email (option): jeroen.roos@hccnet.nl

Re: gearbox advise please

Just did my gearbox yesterday because of this

Can't open your photo link though

:-(

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

sorry, now the linkshould work, so you can see the pictures

hi jeroen,in picture 5 it looks like part of the roller cage has disappeared,the bronze filings are from the bush that looks to have been running dry.
are you using oil or grease in your box?i cant see how grease would get in to these internal bushings,so there may be the reason
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Hi jeroen

My output shaft bush suffered in the same way for 2 reasons in my opinion
I didn't check oil levels frequently
I ran with a tight primary chain

The result caused the bush to rapidly wear - leak oil & contaminate my clutch

I know from previous posts the replacement of the bush is difficult especially when it comes to drilling the oil ways as they are at an angle - I was lucky to have a new gear with a bush installed
Also lucky not to have to change the shaft, this was ok

If you have a good workshop replace & redrill the bush oil ways or purchase one complete, your shaft should be ok. When in there change your bearing to a rubber sealed type, this will help keep oil in there !!

Avoid gear oil, hypoid type (ep80/90), always use engine oil - hypoid types are not compatible with this type of bush material

Best regards

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Can anyone recommend a brand of 90 wt that is non-hypoid, preferably in the US?

Thanks,

Kevin

Hoi Rick,
You are right, a part of the sid cover of the bearing is missing. For your other question, i can tell you that oil traces are in the box, so the main lubrication is oil. I think the privious owner let it run dry, but i cant be sure.

hoi John,

I try to get a loose bush, because i have got material to redrill this bush.

Thanx for the extra tips of changing the bearing with rubber sealed types and to use egine oil instead of the hypoid type.

Should i also replace all the washers??

on picture 11 shouldnt the 2 hole line up might be wrong as not up to speed on gearboxes

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Nieuwe pagina 1