Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Slow idle / Not thechnical..

Hi all,
Funny what fascinating people today, in year 2012, with all of the hi tech machine and vehicles…

Today morning I took my older son, put him in the sidecar, and we met with some friends with other old/ classic motorcycles
(Few Hondas 50cc from the 70’, but now all re bored or motor replaced to 80-150cc.. one Vespa, and a Triumph Thunderbird 650, 65’)
And went some 30km / 19Miles away to some classic bikes and cars show and “Best restoration” contest.

On the way there I asked a new “SYM Joyride” to measure my TOP speed, and it was almost 100Km/h 62.2Mph,
Don’t know if it’s logical with a sidecar and 18T sprocket For 500cc BSA.. (?)

But what I really wanted to show, is the photo below:

A guy came and started to ask questions regarding the bike’s history, engine specs and so on,
So I explained, and then he wanted to listen to the engine.

I started it, and retarded the points timing to have about 2 or less power strokes a second.

In some half a minute all of those people crowded around to listen to the wonder..
Few came also after the photo was taken…

Photobucket

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Re: Slow idle / Not thechnical..

Nice picture :-)
I remember a day once in UK with sunshine like that, its rained every day for weeks!

Seems a bit fast to me,I prefer a slow tick-over.

Hi Noam,
your right, it is funny what people ask!!!!!
A couple of weeks ago while i was on my M20 ready to join our local ANZAC day parade, a guy came up to me and wanted me to start th bike so he could turn the twist grip, and hear it rev up. That was after he asked me if it had an electric start????? I let him turn the twist grip and he was happy.
cheers Dave.J

email (option): jamfam@dragnet.com.au

i have been put off going to show i got fed up with the silly questions and a couple of rivet counter as i am not a rivet counter myself say it would'nt be like that there wouldn't stainless screw there or the div signs are wrong(angry voice)i bl*"+y know that i did it for looks poetic licence and i dont think i need to worry this week end as it cold and raining mumble mumble discontent

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Hi Dave and Roger,

Yes, I also had few cases where people who had a BSA many years ago
Did also ask to listen to it or even to start it,
And felt with nostalgia for that slow special “HOOMPH-PSHH” sound and started to
Tell me how “When I was a child it was our family’s vehicle and it took us every ware” and so on.

My bike is fairly original, but I am also not a “rivet counter” myself,
And it dose annoy when guys come over and say: this is not correct for 41’, this is from 46’ and so on.

Of course there are also the “know it all” which explains to their friends that “This is the starter” (dynamo)
And start to tell me that the bike should be painted glossy black, and all of this, this and this
Should be in shiny chrome!

To that I usually reply:
“Ha, so your BSA is all black and chrome”?
they say with some inconvenience:
“No, I do not own one”.. Ha, I say- so you are only an advisor expert..
Why don’t you get one and paint it in whatever shade you fancy and leave me alone?...

But I must say, that all in all,
The most are very polite and curious.

BR,
Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

My favourites from memory..
'Is it an old Army bike?'..no it's a fire engine!
'Is it a replica?'..that was just after a rebuild when it looked 'new'.
'My Grandad rode one in the War..did you know him?'..a five year old kid.
'Careful, you'll break the headlamp'..When I was knocking the reluctant DU42 rim on (by hand)..The guy thought the headlamp shell was plastic.
'We used to have one of those with a sidecar..it would go up hill and down dale in top gear'...I think not!
'My Dad's got a proper bike..a Suzuki GSXR 1000'..bloody teenagers.
and possibly my favourite, said completly seriously after 5 minutes chatting....
'Couldn't you afford a new one then?'...

....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Those "information cards" people put on their vehicles at shows must save having to repeatedly answers the same questions but I've had lots of motorcycles & other vehicles at shows & rather than let the Askers wind me up, I just say its not mine & if they point at something critically I join in with "yes & look how dirty the chain is" etc.
Worse though is your fortunate enough to own a Brough Superior like a Guy I was chatting with where anywhere he goes within 5 seconds of parking somebody will be shouting in his face LAWRENCE OF ARABIA!!

that made me laugh well couldnt you afford a new one then roger

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

When Im riding mine around Im amazed at the amount of pedestrianse and people in cars who go out of their way to look at, watch or listen to the bike. Whenever I stop for petrol or to park it there usualy somebody who wants to talk about it- usually the same old cliches. Often when I park it I walk away as quickly as possible before somebody comes up tp say "i was a dispatch rider/ I sold one of those for a fiver" etc etc

If someone says 'I was a despatch rider' I get interested immediately and start asking questions. Frequently these days that means you are talking to a National Serviceman not a WW2 veteran, but I still find their memories interesting.
The 'rose tinted' 'I sold one for a fiver', 'they don't make them like that anymore' and 'Is it a Bantam' brigade are less entertaining...

...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1