Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
valved guides

Hi,
recently I removed a very worn out exhaust valve guide. It measures 15,87 mm.
The new one from Dragonfly is 15.92 mm.
Would it be all right to press it in like that ?
Is there any risk of damaging the cilinder ?

Re: valved guides

Hi Michael..Is this for an M20?..If it is check that you have measured them in the same place along thier length. The guides can be tapered by .000"-.003"..Diameter should be .624-.625" at the smaller end and .625"-.627" at the bigger end..
The largest size you have quoted is on 'top limit' or the 'upper limit'..that shouldn't cause you a problem, particularly if the guides are tapered and that is the larger end, as one end of the guide isn't pressed into the barrel anyway.
Clearance of the valve stem to guide after fitting and sizing to finished size should be .003"-.005" inlet and exhaust...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian,
yes, it is for an m20.
I was told it measures the same size from top to bottom.
Isn't that right then ? If so, I will try again.
As you see the new one is a little wider so I wonder if problems (cracking) might occur when pressed in.
Hope to hear from you.

Hi Michael..15.92mm is .6267" which is .0003"(.0076mm) under the upper permissible size of the larger end of the guide.
Whether that is correct depends on whether the guides do in fact have any taper on them.
If they don't that means a maximum interference fit of .0027" if the guide bore in the barrel is at the lower guide tolerance of .624". Possibly it may be a thou under that (.623") which would give an interference fit of .0037"
Unfortunately my information does not give the barrel guide bore sizes.
So first you need to determine whether the guides are tapered or not. If they are not you need to measure the guide bores in the barrel to determine how much fit you actually have.
Assuming a guide bore size of .623"-.624" in the barrel and a maximum guide size of .626" on the part of the guide that is pressed into the barrel (using original taper tolerances), then the standard fit would be .002"-.003".
You could be up to .0007" over this figure.
Before drawing any conclusions though I would first determine what the guides and guide bore are actually measuring up at...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Have a look at my tip of Feb 28, 2012, to make installation easier...

Valve tools, Valve tools

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Nieuwe pagina 1