Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DR.....at last..

Nice moments are even more nicer if you can share them..
As we celebrate the liberation of The Netherlands tomorrow, I am so happy to have my bike and wear ready for tomorrow. I made a test drive but the fellow road users signals made it quite short...
The DR pantalon needs some adjustment so therefore I'm wearing battle dress trousers and the census number will be on the fuel tank shortly...
Thanks to many people (also on this forum) this could be achieved; many thanks!
I will post a daytime photo shortly.
Sven
DR may 4th 2012

1942 Norton WD16H Seaforth Highlanders
1942 DR Helmet 7 3/4
1942 DR goggles
1943 DR gauntlets size 12
1942 leather jerkin size 2
1942 Battle dress and trousers
1944 DR pantalon size 18 (to be adjusted)
1942 Belt + 1944 ammo pack + 1942 holster
1942 Canadian gaiters
WW2 DR Boots size 12 (not in this photo)

email (option): snvosselman@hotmail.com

Re: DR.....at last..

Excellent Sven...It all looks the part and I know how much work has gone into it....I hope you enjoy the celebrations..Next stop Normandy 2014?....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I can't wait Ian.....
since 1995 (50th liberation day) I wanted to join any liberation event and finally I am able to so count me in for Normandy!

Looking good Sven,nicely kitted out.
You may find the holster sits better if you position it on the left side of your body. Many pics I've seen show the holster on the left, if you are right handed it would be easier to reach across in case you are confronted by hostile activity and need to access your sidearm in a hurry....
Vincent

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Photobucket

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Very well done Sven! We all know what an accomplishment it is to get to this point. Now you can finally enjoy all of your hard work. Congratulations!!!!

Superb !!!

Enjoy your day & your fine motorcycle sven

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

I never really got into the whole idea of dressing up to go with the bike, I was always more into the bikes, but looking at this Sven, I think I may have changed my mind. It's partly about saving the bikes, but more about education and remembrance isn't it? so what better way to do this than portray the whole picture. I think I'm all turned around on the subject and may have to get some kit and start doing it properly! The problem is that I'll get the WW2 kit for the Matchless and then I'll need the WW1 stuff to go with my old Douglas too when it's finnished, expensive business.

I too wouldn't wear the DR gear for normal daily use, but I have the kit for those special occasions where as you say, it is for educational reasons. Imagine the 65 for 65 with everyone wearing flourescent jackets and full face helmets, it just wouldn't have the same impact!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Excelent Sven and have a great day at the remembrance outing.
I also have some DR kit and always feel a bit self concious unless I'm with other guys at an event. In fact it just feels so normal in Normandy. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Dave Plumb
I too wouldn't wear the DR gear for normal daily use, but I have the kit for those special occasions where as you say, it is for educational reasons. Imagine the 65 for 65 with everyone wearing flourescent jackets and full face helmets, it just wouldn't have the same impact!

If Sarkozy's government doesn't lose the election in June then that's the way it's more or less going to be in 2014 -

Bill, if your G3/WO is an early one then you could invest in a 1922 Service Dress for pre-1940 'Phoney war' and if the cut is a bit loose, add a soft cap and get away with Kaiser-war as well. You'll have to learn how to put long puttees on though.

Good thinking Rik! I hadn't thought of that one, but would it push the wife over the edge if I asked her to do my puttees for me?

Lincoln Bill
Good thinking Rik! I hadn't thought of that one, but would it push the wife over the edge if I asked her to do my puttees for me?

You'll have to get her involved with dressing up as well Bill and tell her that you'll straighten the seams in her stockings !

Now there's a plan, but if she slaps me, I'll tell her it was your idea!!

I'm just back from Wageningen, where we have our yearly Liberation festivities. Lots of veterans (they came in London cabs!) and a fine selection of WW2 material, including armour and artillery.
But also some 20 (or even more, I didn't count them) BSA, Norton, Ariel, Matchless, James from the Dutch WW2 Brit bike scene. Unfortunately only on static show, the organisation was afraid that in the parade they would distract the attention from the veterans
Wouldn't it be great if next year also our non-Dutch bikers would be there on May 5? It's on a Sunday then !

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Hi Hans,
I hope you enjoyed it though. I've been there once, but to wait from 9 to 4 for a 1 mile ride was once and never again...
We enjoyed a nice ride today as we attended the 2nd 'Dutch Waterline Ride' with 80 WW2 vehicles and 2 short static shows in small ancient city centres.
Some 'Dutch weather' and 'No-entry poles' we had to battle, but the atmosphere was great!
My Norton ran well, but I am completely finished with those bugger fuel taps! 10 years I've been struggling to get them leak free, but nothing helps; NOS taps, repo taps, new corks, good thread....nothing helps! I have been working on them on every evening last week and I've now decided to fit the postwar 'twist taps'. Today they managed to be leak free the first moment, than the one on the right started to flood (not dripping but flooding!), to be followed with the one on the left....and than dry again. At the end of today the look wet... Anyone knows where to get some quality postwar ones?

Thanks for the friendly comments all!
I've been thinking about this Vincent. As I check the old photos I have, they seem to wear the holster where they like. On this photo they are worn on the right;
Haarlem,%20canadese%20Norton
But I thought the same about 'reacting quicker' so I will change it. I fitted it on the right because the large pocket on the left hand side of my pantalon was filled with 'non-military' stuff today. Therefore it was more practical.
Sven

Hi Sven..I use modern taps and have done for years..I gave up with the originals at least 10 years ago myself. I usae BAP taps which come with a 1/4" BSP thread at both ends. On the military bikes I usually paint them black and you hardly notice them.
If you don't find something modern in Holland and these will fit I can supply a pair for £15 plus postage..Ian

Ian, do they look like these?
naamloos
If so, count me in for 2 please.
Regards, Sven

No Sven..they don't...and you will find the taps you have pictured leak. Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, there aren't any modern taps which don't leak but look the same, or similar to, the originals. It seems there is a choice to be made between function and appearance in this case...or a lot more buggering around to try and stop your original taps leaking...Ian

Never had problems with my taps since I changed from cork to synthetic gasket material. Don't know where you live Sven, but perhaps I can help you with better corks. Contact me PM
Hans

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Yes I have used Han's corks with success so far. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

OK Ron, you've convinced me to give it one last chance....but that will really be the LAST chance.....
I have contacted Hans already.
Sven

Hi Bill,
I also was more into the bikes rather than the gear, but I noticed that a lot of people don't even know about all this old stuff being around at all, so you can fulfill an information role as well at an event which will be very appreciated. You can choose to ride your bike in jeans or WD/WW2 clothing which makes the picture more complete. I started collecting in November last year and having all the disadvantages that can be (1.91m, 95kg, shoe size 12, helmet size 7 3/4), it took me only 5 months to collect this all, so I can recommend to give it a try!
Sven

I was stood in the doorway of a Moptorway services having a smoke...it was pouring with rain and my DR coat was making puddles on the floor..A woman next to me said 'Terrible weather isn't it?'..'Yes' I replied..'I hope it improves as I'm camping for the next 10 days'...'Oh, she said..'Are you in the Scouts?'.. ...Also in a Cafe once someone asked me where I was stationed!!...Personally I like to see a group of riders 'kitted up'..it really makes the bikes look the part..Ian

Yesterday afternoon an elderly man got very emotional when he saw me...he all of a sudden remembered a Canadian DR entering his village which was the first signal of liberation for him after 5 years of war.
He had forgotten how he looked like until yesterday..
Once more a good reason to dress up like a DR!

Nieuwe pagina 1