Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sealant for fuel & oil lines?

Does anyone use a sealant on the gas type fittings to help keep the oil & petrol lines oil & petrol proof?

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: Sealant for fuel & oil lines?

Loctite make one in the form of a lipstick type applicator, this may do the job as it is for specifically sealing the threads on pipe fittings

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

There should be a copper (or 'Dowty' type) washer between tap and tank as they rely on a face seal rather than the thread (as Ian mentioned, they're parallel threads and not tapered). This would also apply to any adapters that you use.

The Fuel lines at the tap and at the carb banjo have a conical seating and should seal by themselves. If not, then they're probably burred or ridged and if you seal the thread to stop this, it'll just leak round the pipe instead !

After changing the fuel taps a number of times, and still having problems, I decided to fit some slightly more modern ones, unfortunately I wasn't confident that the adaptor needed to go into the tank had enough 'land' on it to seal with the washer, so I bought some of this stuff and can highly recommend it.

http://riponengineeringsupplies.co.uk/products/adhesives/anaerobic-sealants/air-brake-pipe-sealant--anaerobic-concertina.html

email (option): jimstott51@virginmedia.com

Nieuwe pagina 1