Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tipped up silencer query.

I can't remember if it was ever resolved? But do we know when the silencer went from tipped up to straight?

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Tipped up silencer query.

Yes, inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks for posting the initial inquiry Ron.

email (option): dgordon4@austin.rr.com

The RAF parts list that has illustrations of an early contract bike (39/40) shows the tipped up silencer..and the first 1937 WD model had the tipped up 'fishtail' silencer..so it would appear it was around pretty early on...Perhaps all wartime bikes had it.. Also, what about post war replacement exhaust systems?..It could be the M20s picked up non tipped up systems then....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian. Does that mean the tipped up version was a mostly standard fitment for the whole 39-45 period. I couldn't remember if it was deleted at some point during the war.

Ron

Possibly, trawling the parts lists might answer this one..a change of part number may be apparent.
Assuming they thought the tipped up silencer served a practical purpose though..either better ground clearance, slightly increased fording depth or both, I can't see why they would delete it.
My non tipped up silencer has certainly taken a hammering on the underside riding 'off piste'.. ...Ian

I'm sure in my RAF parts list it was shown as a seperate piece. I'm not 100% sure as it's not to hand, but I seem to remember it as a small piece of tube that fitted between the two.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

This is what it shows Dave. There is a separate collar for some reason. I think we have determined that the angle of the front spout is about 7 degrees. Ron

Photobucket

Aha! I thought the bend was on the collar. (well it was from memory) What is interesting about it though is it appears to have two more lines above and below the datum line, could this be a clamp, but not shown with the bolts? If so has anyone actually seen one of these collars?

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

I sold this one a few years ago.

Rob.

Photobucket

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

A nice original part Rob that clearly shows what it is. But I still don't want one on my bike Ron

I can't see how that works..If it goes over the outside of the silencer and pipe then another one, or possibly two clamps,(not shown in the drawings), would be needed.
If it fits inside the pipe and then goes into the silencer the sleeve would then be held by the built in silencer clamp, if that was used at the time, but would only be protruding into the end of the pipe without being clamped.
In either case that would also mean the inside diameter and OD of both pipe and silencer must be the same..unless it fits inside of one and outside of the other....
To me, fitting it over both items and using an additional clamp or clamps would be the most likely set up and that means the pipe and silencer inlet would be the same diameter..So were they all like that or is there a later, more conventional, tipped up silencer arrangement?.. ...You might have 'opened a can of worms' here Ron... ..

The sleeve could have neen made of spring steel, being that shape it would have clamped itself on the end of the downpipe.

And it is very difficult removing a silencer from a downpipe when they have been together for a while, this would give a shorter surface area and make it easier to part them.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

i remember from somewhere that it being said the tipped up silencer was discontinued because of if water gets in it it and will stay in the bottom of exhaust pipe causing trouble

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Someone posted this picture of the front of an original muffler ages ago.

It didn't catch my eye before but this looks very much like a sleeve in the first part of the muffler?

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

What I love about this forum is the search capability, here I was wondering about my mis-matched silencer and find the reason is the mystery part above.
My downpipe is 1 & 3/4 inches, the silencer has a 1 & 7/8 inlet.
I ended up welding an adaptor sleeve to the exhaust pipe end, which seems to make a suitable connection and fit with the silencer inlet.
A single bolt fixing is welded as part of the silencer so no separate clamp is needed.
As far as I know, the silencer is an original, tipped up version. Very solid and heavy, it has a couple drain holes on the bottom so water can't accumulate within the low section.
Now I have some High Heat paint to finish it with, but have to wait until the better half is at work so I can bake it in the Barbecue for an hour to cure the paint........

Nieuwe pagina 1