Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
From tank to carb

I'm trying to sort the fuel taps, etc on my M20 and wondered if anyone could tell me what taps/adapters/threads I need?
I've had a good look at the tech info as well as previously posted messages and having only just got to grips with cycle and whitworth, the BSP issue is too much for my small brain.
The pic shows the new pipe I'm hoping to fit along with what I've unscrewed from the tank. The new pipe fits the carb ok but the fuel tap ends are smaller, plus each of the fuel tank adapters have different internal threads!
If anyone is able to write an idiots guide as to what I need, I'd be eternally grateful.

Ta in advance, Lee.

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: From tank to carb

Hi Lee,

I'll email you and anyone else a nice file on British Thread forms

Cheers,

Robb

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

The nice thing about BSP is often you can find what you need in Brass in an old established plumbing supplies stores.
Reducers etc ...

hi lee,looking at what you have in the picture,the petrol pipe is 1/4 bsp.the tank has 3/8 bsp ,
so the left adaptor as im looking at your picture has a
3/8 male thread on the outside and a 1/8 thread on the inside.now that tap will screw into the adaptor but looks also that the other end is 3/8 so should screw into the tank without the adaptor.
i cant see the thread in the other adaptor on the right
and have you got another tap the same for the other side? i think you need two new taps,1/4 bsp to 1/4 bsp
male both ends and two reducers 3/8 male to 1/4 female.
hang fire for an hour and i'll have a look what i can come up with. show that other fitting a bit more clearly ie so i can see the thread inside and try the tap the other way up into the tank
later rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Thanks fellas.

The larger end of the tap won't fit directly in the tank (too small) and doesn't fit the other reducer either (too big, only just). The pic below will hopefully give a better view and and leads on what I need to complete the set-up will be greatfully recieved.

ps. I can see some light at the end of the tunnel:

hi lee,are you bothered about staying with that partiular type of tap as they are quite expensive
compared to others that are available?(i was quite surprised at the prices)there are alternatives,or cheaper indian made same as the ones you have,let me know and i will post you some numbers to look at .
im on the pooter for an hour or two now.
cheers rick

Thanks Rick.

If I replaced the larger adapter with one similar to the filtered adapter, would I be right in thinking that I'd need a 1/4 x 7/16 tap? The inside of the nut that fixes the tap to the pipe is approx 10mm internally.
I'd prefer to avoid Indian taps but would appreciate numbers to look at.

hi lee,just looked again and the indian ones have dissappeared.right ive taken an adaptor out of one of my tanks and it is definitely 3/8 gas(bsp).im pretty sure your petrol pipe is 1/4 bsp,so you need-
a pair of taps 1/4x1/4 male bsp
two 3/8 bsp male x 1/4 bsp female adaptors
you may need a couple of fiber washers and or some ptfe tape to finish off.
heres some numbers to view
taps 330715187915 these have a locknut so you can position the lever anywhere you want,also i would buy
one tap and one reserve tap (this has a small tube inside the filter sticking up into the tank about 1 1/2
inches so when the fuel runs out you switch over and still have some left.
brass adaptors 270873340726 although you can get these at a good plumbers heating engineers supplier.
more taps 26945201785
steel adaptors if you prefer 320896523192
icb spares in bolton has a range 220998001539
and 320886105064
200745562830 but you wont need the tails
im still baffled by the thread in the large end of your tap,some of these type were made by a company called enots,they also had their own thread system
so maybe fit a tail adaptor for plastic fuel line.
hope this helps,im still on the pooter for a bit yet
cheers rick

Thanks for all your time & help Rick, without it I'd have puddles of petrol all over the garage floor.
Just when I thought I'd got to grips with cycle thread and the like, BSP made an appearance and baffled my brain that has been raised on a diet of Japanese bikes - until now.

Hi Lee..If you are looking at fittings be aware there is BSP and BSPT, the 'T' denoting tapered thread. Motorcycle fittings use the non tapered form..Plumbing fittings are frequently of the tapered type...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian. The blanked-off fitting on the right has a thread thats longer than the other one and also tapers. I was wondering why and now I know.

I'm not sure I've ever learnt so much from one bike.

Nieuwe pagina 1