Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless, free of charge!

No, not a free Matchless, but a Matchless that won't charge! I hate electrics. My G3/WO isn't charging and I don't know why. I've checked the reconditioned Dynamo and it's kicking out a good lot of power and I've replaced the original old Lucas regulator with a brand new repro one. I've put a new battery on it, but still no charge when the engine is running. I'm losing the lecky somewhere between the Dynamo and the battery and it's not running out all over the floor, so where is it going? The wiring all seems in good condition, is clean and has continuity. I've checked the voltage of the battery when the bike is running and there is no change at all. The battery is powering the lights and horn just fine and the ammeter give a negative reading when it does, but no positive reading when the bike is running. Any ideas anyone?

Re: Matchless, free of charge!

Bill, is that a repro mechanical regulator ? They're mostly from the Far East and lack a lot of the original circuitry. I've never heard a good word said about them.

Have you checked polarity / flashed it over ?

Rik, thanks for the reply. Yes, it's a replica of the old mechanical unit. You think that could be the problem? Holding the original and new units side by side does show how cheap the insides of the new one look, very nasty actually. How would I go about checking the polarity and what is flashing it over?

That's probably going to be my next move, cheers Fred. The only problem is that this listing says Positive Earth only and my bike is Negative Earth, can I get Negative Earth ones?

Yes, they pretty much have it covered, these things are available for 6v ,12v ,poss & negative earth systems, I always use them, never had a problem, they are always at the bigger jumbles, I also use the dry type batteries that fit in a fake battery box, so good is that system that I ate my dinner using my bsa headlight shining into my kitchen during a power cut one night with complete confidence

Cheers Fred, good advice,I'll have to get one sorted and see if it makes any difference, but is there any way of testing the old regulator before I throw it in the bin?

Eating by candle light is supposed to be romantic, but surely you can't beat eating by the light of an old motorcycle? Start it up and it makes a lovely tune too!!

Sorry I can't help with the testing, only bin the innards, the casings are of use for mounting the electronic unit inside.
yes I have candles but the bike was more eccentric behavior & better for that reason :-)

Hello Bill,

Look at this page http://www.beckelektronika.nl/ click on the left side were
you see fat printed BORSTEL scroll to Lucas, min is negative and plus is positive
I used them in all my bikes and that always work!!
If you need help to order leth me know.

regards,

Bram

email (option): bram@ockhuizen.com

If the regulator is not the problem try the slip clutch in the mag sprocket.

Cheers Pat

Bill. Do yourself a favour mate, get yourself a DVR2 regulator from www.dynamoregulators.com or ring Mike on 01489 880552. These are brilliant bits of kit that will fit in your existing regulator box, this will charge up a flat battery which no other electronic regulator does, I know because I have fitted them to my bikes, at £48 each its a steal.

Kind regards TTJohn

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

Thanks for the advice everyone, great stuff. Just for my own amusement I decided to strip the old regulator down yesterday and see what made it tick. I unsoldered the joints, cleaned it all, sanded the points and put it all back together again and it's suddenly come back to life and is charging like a maniac!! I'll stick with the old one for as long as it lasts, but I'll also invest in something more modern, so that when the old unit finally gives up the ghost I'll pop the new one straight on. Thanks again chaps.

Good news your getting some charge but if it was me unless I knew it was "regulating" I would still have concerns.
Its gonna boil your battery if its overcharging.
There's a very high chance that its not working correctly. Put an electronic one on your xmas list (its not long now, I can feel it getting colder every day)
I pay £25 new at jumbles for them with no issues & they go in your old casing :-D

I'll do just that Fred. I'll keep an eye on the circuit and get hold of a new 21st century replacement for the old Lucas unit ASAP.

Fred.
Although you can get one for £25 there's an old addage, you only get what you pay for, which is quite true. The ones I was recommending are proven and will charge up a flat battery, I don't know of any other electronic regulator that does this, do you?

Kind regards TTJohn

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

Only need that feature with wet old type batteries that go fully flat, yes (as with modern cars) you need a tiny amount of charge to work regulator on the type I buy which always seems to be available on the dry cell cyclon type battery most people now use (wet cell only really needed on electric start bikes).
Didn't set out to cause a fuss & I did recommend using the dry cell type battery with the unit, I've had 6yrs on a cyclon & a 25 quid unit on one of my bikes & I still see these at £25 which is all I need to pay when I need another.
Incidently you say "you get what you pay for" well those cyclon 6v dry batteries are anything from £8 (that's what I paid) to £35 at some shows, SAME battery. not such a good addage ...

Nieuwe pagina 1