Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
spokes

Hi,
On the wm20 front wheel speedo side are there supposed to be specific inner and outer spokes with slightly different angle on the heads. Its just that I have started lacing my front wheel and I can get drum side in fine and speedo side inners in fine but cannot get the outers to line up properly. I have a new set of stainless spokes and the heads all seem to have the same angle. Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike

email (option): jamik@westnet.com.au

Re: spokes

You have to bend them! I encountered the same problem when I laced my first front wheel, and then my spokesman (no pun intended ) showed me how to bend them properly, using a soft-head hammer, near the end of the spoke (the hook-side); the rest of the spoke must remain straight.
You can see the one spoke with the nipple high above the hole in the rim, so you have to do some major bending.

Photobucket

Good luck

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Thanks for that Hans. So all the spokes have the same bend when you buy them? Sounds scary but I will give it a go.Whats the best way to bend it, do you put it in a vice and bend a bit at a time or would you try to bend it in the wheel. Thanks for your help it is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike

No Mike, I bend them all "in place"; it helped that they were cut exactly to the right length, so I could bring the threaded end right in front of the hole in the rim, without touching (and scratching...) the double-powder coating. And then I could insert the nipple and screw it on.

Bending the spokes is a bodge to get you out of trouble as a last resort if you are in a hurry, Far better would be to give the spokes back to whoever supplied them wrong & get the right ones for the job with a longer HL (Hook Length).
A good spoke supplier will know the HL if you havnt got an original spoke to look at.
here's a link to a page as an example of a good spoke suppliers ordering process.
http://www.speichen-spokes.oldtimer-on-tour.de/spokes-configurator/index.html

Could indeed be a bodge, but my original WW2 wheels came both with bent spokes, and my supplier (JVD Wheels in Uithuizen, NL) has the original data for the spokes.
But let's wait for the return of the experts like Ian, Ron and Dave to hear their opinion

My father was building spoked wheels from ww2 up to 2002 & i laced hubs for him as a boy (as it was the laborious part) :-D
I have offered advice from experience & wanted to explain what was causing the problem & how it should be done.
But if you find someone to recommend spokes that are bent at the rim of the hub then fine. The flange wouldn't have been designed to endure sideways force from the tensioned spoke, BSA angled the flange where that was an issue (like the rear hub).
Im not an expert though....

My M20 front wheel has correct hook length spokes & i wont be converting

I'll ask my spokesman! Always possible that this was a WW2 bodge And we still won the war...

My fathers shop was in London & my mother loved the war as 2 of her schools in London were bombed & she & her friends wandered th streets between air raids collecting shrapnel.

Hi,
Thanks for your input. The measurements I gave the spoke maker was from this site.
Front Wheel
right side 6 3/4" x 10 SWG
left side 8 3/4" x 10 SWG
Rear Wheel
right side 8 3/4" x 8 SWG
left side 8 5/8" x 8 SWG

I found a part number 24-7012 and when I looked it up on dragonfly site it shows this:
Spoke and nipple 8 3/4" x 10g x 80.Would that be the information I need to tell the spoke maker?
Cheers,
Mike

Fred, your Mother loved the war cus her schools got bombed...? Strange woman...! What's that got to do with building wheels...?

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Horror, if your not happy with my post maybe you should write to your MP

Hi Mike, yes it wont do any damage & the wheel wont fall off if you bend them like Hans, but a longer hook length is needed for a completely straight spoke. Its always good to keep old spokes if you had them to see what thier fit is like & measure the hook length.

Re: was spokes, bit OT but still WW2

Cycle Fred
My fathers shop was in London & my mother loved the war as 2 of her schools in London were bombed & she & her friends wandered th streets between air raids collecting shrapnel.

I collected German shrapnel after the Lancasters and B17's had passed. The biggest prize were the Allied brass .303 and .50 cases; I had one marked LC42, and only much, much later when I had a large cartridge collection I learned that this stood for the Lake City ammo plant.

Where did you live at that time Hans, I am interested to see if I've travelled nearby.
Yes my mother also said there were quite rigid rules about which pieces were better than which, I'm visiting her in hospital every day shes having a vascular related operation on Tuesday so I'm getting lots of good stories, my mum was 10 when war broke out so was not able to fully appreciate the danger, she said it was quite good fun, they moved arround north London to 8 different houses due to bomb damage & very few had glass left in the windows.
I will ask her if she can remember any specific shrapnel

Hi,
I emailed the guy who made the spokes and he suggested that I make sure the hooks had a 90 degrees bend (which they didn't) so I held the spokes in a vice and tapped the hooks around with a soft mallet to get a good 90 and they seem to line up with the the holes now. Thanks very much for everyones help.
Regards,
Mike

Hi Fred,
Read my story on http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/74/a2006074.shtml.
There is one error in it: it was May 7th and not 6, that I saw the Polar Bear recce unit enter Amsterdam. Unforgettable...

Hans,

Your piece is no longer accessible at the BBC site. Do you have another link?

Jeff

email (option): jjbandoo@aol.com

That's funny, I just tried and got access! Try again:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/74/a2006074.shtml

hi Hans,that truly is a heartfelt story,i thought also well described,lets just hope it never happens again.
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Hans, Just read it, without personal accounts of what is was like to be in the middle of it all like that its impossible to imagine how that must have been, thats a very interesting read.

Hans,

That was very well recounted.

Thank you.

Jeff

email (option): jjbandoo@aol.com

Nieuwe pagina 1